From: voice_of_reason on
Greetings all:

I would like to seek assistance with a weird problem I have encounter.

I have just installed Ubunto 9.10.

Initially, my problem was that sound ONLY played thru the
earphones...but when unplugged no sound played via speakers.

I did not immediately look into the problems.

I've installed many other programs and made updates which required
reboots, etc.

Just now, all of a sudden...during a reboot I was surprised by sound
coming out of my speakers to accompany the Welcome screen (till now
had no idea there was sound).

But....strangely enough...now NO SOUND COMES OUT OF THE EARPHONES!!!

Furthermore, plugging in the earphones does not short out the
speakers. Plugging int he earphones has no effect at all.

All the research I've done online has only turned up resources for
correcting problems of no sound at all. My problem is that I *DO* have
sound.....just not coming out of the right devices at the right
time....

Help appreciated!!

Thanks!!
From: The Natural Philosopher on
voice_of_reason(a)australia.edu wrote:
> Greetings all:
>
> I would like to seek assistance with a weird problem I have encounter.
>
> I have just installed Ubunto 9.10.
>
> Initially, my problem was that sound ONLY played thru the
> earphones...but when unplugged no sound played via speakers.
>
> I did not immediately look into the problems.
>
> I've installed many other programs and made updates which required
> reboots, etc.
>
> Just now, all of a sudden...during a reboot I was surprised by sound
> coming out of my speakers to accompany the Welcome screen (till now
> had no idea there was sound).
>
> But....strangely enough...now NO SOUND COMES OUT OF THE EARPHONES!!!
>
> Furthermore, plugging in the earphones does not short out the
> speakers. Plugging int he earphones has no effect at all.
>
> All the research I've done online has only turned up resources for
> correcting problems of no sound at all. My problem is that I *DO* have
> sound.....just not coming out of the right devices at the right
> time....

Odd. sound comes out of both in my case vu the cans don't stop the speakers.

That's really down to the wiring in the computer case I think. Its not
normal to mute speakers when cans are in is it?

From: Denis McMahon on
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
> voice_of_reason(a)australia.edu wrote:
>> Greetings all:
>>
>> I would like to seek assistance with a weird problem I have encounter.
>>
>> I have just installed Ubunto 9.10.
>>
>> Initially, my problem was that sound ONLY played thru the
>> earphones...but when unplugged no sound played via speakers.
>>
>> I did not immediately look into the problems.
>>
>> I've installed many other programs and made updates which required
>> reboots, etc.
>>
>> Just now, all of a sudden...during a reboot I was surprised by sound
>> coming out of my speakers to accompany the Welcome screen (till now
>> had no idea there was sound).
>>
>> But....strangely enough...now NO SOUND COMES OUT OF THE EARPHONES!!!
>>
>> Furthermore, plugging in the earphones does not short out the
>> speakers. Plugging int he earphones has no effect at all.
>>
>> All the research I've done online has only turned up resources for
>> correcting problems of no sound at all. My problem is that I *DO* have
>> sound.....just not coming out of the right devices at the right
>> time....
>>

> Odd. sound comes out of both in my case vu the cans don't stop the
> speakers.
>
> That's really down to the wiring in the computer case I think. Its not
> normal to mute speakers when cans are in is it?

I found a similar problem on a windows PC.

The software was expecting switches in the sockets to detect which of
the front and rear jacks were occupied, but the wiring for those
switches wasn't connected.

This meant that the audio system never detected the phones in the front
socket.

There was an option somewhere in an audio control panel to ignore the
detection on a socket by socket basis, also allowed assigning inputs and
outputs to various sockets.

If you've got a similar hardware related issue, there might be a similar
software / config related solution.

Rgds

Denis McMahon
From: Nico Kadel-Garcia on
On Feb 28, 1:29 pm, voice_of_rea...(a)australia.edu wrote:
> Greetings all:
>
> I would like to seek assistance with a weird problem I have encounter.
>
> I have just installed Ubunto 9.10.
>
> Initially, my problem was that sound ONLY played thru the
> earphones...but when unplugged no sound played via speakers.
>
> I did not immediately look into the problems.
>
> I've installed many other programs and made updates which required
> reboots, etc.
>
> Just now, all of a sudden...during a reboot I was surprised by sound
> coming out of my speakers to accompany the Welcome screen (till now
> had no idea there was sound).
>
> But....strangely enough...now NO SOUND COMES OUT OF THE EARPHONES!!!

Oh, dear. What *motherboard* are you using? And do you, by chance,
dual-boot this system?

> Furthermore, plugging in the earphones does not short out the
> speakers. Plugging int he earphones has no effect at all.
>
> All the research I've done online has only turned up resources for
> correcting problems of no sound at all. My problem is that I *DO* have
> sound.....just not coming out of the right devices at the right
> time....
>
> Help appreciated!!
>
> Thanks!!

Yeah, some audio chipsets have some *very* odd setups for front, back,
surround sound, alternative microphone versus headphone versus speaker
schemes. It can be awkward to sort out, and is one of the reasons I've
come to prefer USB audio devices whenever available.
From: Tecknode on
voice_of_reason(a)australia.edu wrote:
> Greetings all:
>
> I would like to seek assistance with a weird problem I have encounter.
>
> I have just installed Ubunto 9.10.
>
> Initially, my problem was that sound ONLY played thru the
> earphones...but when unplugged no sound played via speakers.
>
> I did not immediately look into the problems.
>
> I've installed many other programs and made updates which required
> reboots, etc.
>
> Just now, all of a sudden...during a reboot I was surprised by sound
> coming out of my speakers to accompany the Welcome screen (till now
> had no idea there was sound).
>
> But....strangely enough...now NO SOUND COMES OUT OF THE EARPHONES!!!
>
> Furthermore, plugging in the earphones does not short out the
> speakers. Plugging int he earphones has no effect at all.
>
> All the research I've done online has only turned up resources for
> correcting problems of no sound at all. My problem is that I *DO* have
> sound.....just not coming out of the right devices at the right
> time....
>
> Help appreciated!!
>
> Thanks!!

Did you make the mistake of installing the OPTIONAL modem driver?

When you point to your Volume Icon, you should get a Tooltip with
something like "Internal Audio Analog Stereo

IF YOU DID install the modem, uninstall it and see what happens. That
fixed this problem when I upgraded to Ubuntu 9.10

That's because my on-board Modem is a Voice Modem used for
Voice-over-IP used for using my system's speakers & mic for phone
function. You don't want the feed-back squeal when you use it as a
phone, hence the speaker is disabled with the modem installed.