From: Nomen Nescio on
I'm considering buying a new laptop, which will run mainly the Linux
Operating System.
After reading
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=nvidia_kills_nv&num=1
I'm pretty sure, that I will not buy any laptop with NVIDIA GPU.
What chipset should I chose? My preferences are as follows (ordered
according to priority):

1. Availability of the Open Source Driver, supported by the manufacturer,
allowing to access all features of the GPU. I don't accept running
closed source binaries as kernel modules or root owned processes.
2. Good video throughput, 3D acceleration, OpenGL support
3. Possibility to use the GPU hardware as numeric calculation accelerator.

Could you suggest something?

From: Lusotec on
Nomen Nescio wrote:
> I'm considering buying a new laptop, which will run mainly the Linux
> Operating System.
> After reading
> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=nvidia_kills_nv&num=1
> I'm pretty sure, that I will not buy any laptop with NVIDIA GPU.
> What chipset should I chose? My preferences are as follows (ordered
> according to priority):
>
> 1. Availability of the Open Source Driver, supported by the manufacturer,
> allowing to access all features of the GPU. I don't accept running
> closed source binaries as kernel modules or root owned processes.
> 2. Good video throughput, 3D acceleration, OpenGL support
> 3. Possibility to use the GPU hardware as numeric calculation accelerator.
> Could you suggest something?

For your requirements you best (only?) option may be an Intel GMA.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_GMA#Linux

Neither nVidia nor ATI support any Open Source Drivers (OSD) of relevant
quality, and the OSDs that exit have lower performance than their closed
counterparts.

That said, a nVidia or ATI card with inefficient OSDs may still provide
better 3D performance than a Intel GMA with a Intel's supported OSD.

Regards.

From: sctvguy1 on
Nomen Nescio wrote:

> I'm considering buying a new laptop, which will run mainly the Linux
> Operating System.
> After reading
> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=nvidia_kills_nv&num=1
> I'm pretty sure, that I will not buy any laptop with NVIDIA GPU.
> What chipset should I chose? My preferences are as follows (ordered
> according to priority):
>
> 1. Availability of the Open Source Driver, supported by the manufacturer,
> allowing to access all features of the GPU. I don't accept running
> closed source binaries as kernel modules or root owned processes.
> 2. Good video throughput, 3D acceleration, OpenGL support
> 3. Possibility to use the GPU hardware as numeric calculation accelerator.
>
> Could you suggest something?
Most people that post on these groups use the nVidia driver, and almost
exclusively say that nVidia cards are THE cards to have. The driver is
included with almost all distros to install. If my IBM M52 didn't have the
Intel chipset(capable of using 256mb of the 4gigs of ram it has), I would be
looking for an nVidia card with 512/1gig, since they are so cheap now(PCIe).
From: cassiope on
On Apr 18, 5:25 am, Nomen Nescio <nob...(a)dizum.com> wrote:
> I'm considering buying a new laptop, which will run mainly the Linux
> Operating System.
> After readinghttp://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=nvidia_kills_nv&num=1
> I'm pretty sure, that I will not buy any laptop with NVIDIA GPU.
> What chipset should I chose? My preferences are as follows (ordered
> according to priority):
>
> 1. Availability of the Open Source Driver, supported by the manufacturer,
>    allowing to access all features of the GPU. I don't accept running
>    closed source binaries as kernel modules or root owned processes.
> 2. Good video throughput, 3D acceleration, OpenGL support
> 3. Possibility to use the GPU hardware as numeric calculation accelerator..
>
> Could you suggest something?

Don't have any specific laptop recommendation, but the new Intel chips
with the integrated graphics device are supposed to be substantially
faster than the older Intel GPUs. I have a desktop with one of these
- and it's plenty fast for my (non-gaming) applications. These are
pretty new - I don't know if anyone's figured out how to use the GPUs
for numerics.

NVidia has been tightening the screws lately - they're going farther
towards restricting open-sourcing of their drivers.
ATI has been inconsistent in its support of FOSS drivers - probably
better than NVidia, though their performance is not as good for
gamers.

In short - there's no universal answer. Good luck with your
compromises!
From: Mark Hobley on
Nomen Nescio <nobody(a)dizum.com> wrote:
> 1. Availability of the Open Source Driver, supported by the manufacturer,
> allowing to access all features of the GPU. I don't accept running
> closed source binaries as kernel modules or root owned processes.
> 2. Good video throughput, 3D acceleration, OpenGL support
> 3. Possibility to use the GPU hardware as numeric calculation accelerator.

Intel are the only manufacturer with working open source 3d drivers for
thier current series of cards. ATI have provided the specifications for the
drivers to be written, but at this time, the drivers are still in development.

I have seen Intel cards working with accelerated 3d graphics and open source
drivers and I was very impressed. Intel is your only option on a laptop
computer at this time.

I have not tried using the GPU as a numeric calculation accelerator, so you
need to test this.

Mark.

--
Mark Hobley