From: Ramon F Herrera on

I need to create and edit Excel spreadsheets. I suppose I have to
download some library from Microsoft.

My IDE is MS Visual Studio 2005 (Version 8). The language is C++.

This is NOT a dot net project.

Thanks!

-Ramon

From: ScottMcP [MVP] on
On Mar 17, 5:04 pm, Ramon F Herrera <ra...(a)conexus.net> wrote:
> I need to create and edit Excel spreadsheets. I suppose I have to
> download some library from Microsoft.
>
> My IDE is MS Visual Studio 2005 (Version 8). The language is C++.
>
> This is NOT a dot net project.
>
> Thanks!
>
> -Ramon

To do it without dot net use COM. I recommend using #import and ATL
to implement the COM. Here is a starting point:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/196776

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=0a2026c8-3fb0-425f-8eed-a393ad200285

From: Ramon F Herrera on
On Mar 17, 7:16 pm, "ScottMcP [MVP]" <scott...(a)mvps.org> wrote:
> On Mar 17, 5:04 pm, Ramon F Herrera <ra...(a)conexus.net> wrote:
>
> > I need to create and edit Excel spreadsheets. I suppose I have to
> > download some library from Microsoft.
>
> > My IDE is MS Visual Studio 2005 (Version 8). The language is C++.
>
> > This is NOT a dot net project.
>
> > Thanks!
>
> > -Ramon
>
> To do it without dot net use COM.  I recommend using #import and ATL
> to implement the COM.  Here is a starting point:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/196776
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&Family....

Thanks so much, Scott!!

I have been investigating the issue and just downloaded "Open XML SDK
2.0 for Microsoft Office". How does that approach relate to the COM
approach?

I am guessing that the SDK allows me to deal with Excel files in the
filesystem (perhaps there is no need to have Excel installed?) while
COM controls everything from the automation interface?

Do the 2 approaches complement each other or are they alternatives?

Thanks for your kind assistance,

-Ramon

From: ScottMcP [MVP] on
On Mar 17, 8:48 pm, Ramon F Herrera <ra...(a)conexus.net> wrote:
> On Mar 17, 7:16 pm, "ScottMcP [MVP]" <scott...(a)mvps.org> wrote:
>

> > On Mar 17, 5:04 pm, Ramon F Herrera <ra...(a)conexus.net> wrote:
>
> > > I need to create and edit Excel spreadsheets. I suppose I have to
> > > download some library from Microsoft.
>
> > > My IDE is MS Visual Studio 2005 (Version 8). The language is C++.
>
> > > This is NOT a dot net project.
>
> > > Thanks!
>
> > > -Ramon
>
> > To do it without dot net use COM.  I recommend using #import and ATL
> > to implement the COM.  Here is a starting point:
>
> >http://support.microsoft.com/kb/196776
>
> >http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&Family....
>
> Thanks so much, Scott!!
>
> I have been investigating the issue and just downloaded "Open XML SDK
> 2.0 for Microsoft Office". How does that approach relate to the COM
> approach?
>
> I am guessing that the SDK allows me to deal with Excel files in the
> filesystem (perhaps there is no need to have Excel installed?) while
> COM controls everything from the automation interface?
>
> Do the 2 approaches complement each other or are they alternatives?
>
> Thanks for your kind assistance,
>
> -Ramon- Hide quoted text -

Based on a quick look, that library is dot net for manipulating Office
files.

Yes, COM operates through the automation interface ("Object Model")
and requires that Excel be installed.

From: IanM on

"Ramon F Herrera" <ramon(a)conexus.net> wrote in message

> I need to create and edit Excel spreadsheets. I suppose I have to
> download some library from Microsoft.
>
> My IDE is MS Visual Studio 2005 (Version 8). The language is C++.
>
> This is NOT a dot net project.
>
> Thanks!

I used the info on this page successfully a couple of months ago

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/216686