From: David W. Fenton on
=?Utf-8?B?RnJlZA==?= <Fred(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

> When it's said to never show it to the outside world, that's to
> guard against anybody ever trying to change one.

Er, what? Autonumbers aren't editable, so there's no danger even
*if* somebody is tempted to change one.

The problem is that people invest MEANING in Autonumber values and
assume they are sequential and have no gaps. An Autonumber is really
just a special type of default value for a Long Integer field (you
can append any value to it you like that doesn't violate an existing
index). It can, in fact, be random (and *is* random in a replicated
Jet database).

The values of an Autonumber field have no meaning. Exposing them to
the user tempts them to invest the values with meaning, and that's
the flaw.

--
David W. Fenton http://www.dfenton.com/
From: John W. Vinson on
On Wed, 28 Apr 2010 13:11:01 -0700, Barry A&P
<BarryAP(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I recently viewed a post that said "autonumber is fine as long as you dont
>display it to the user..." Everything in my database references
>autonumbers!! did i make a big mistake somewhere?? i am even marking parts
>with ID numbers that are generated by the autonumber field on a few of my
>tables...
>
>Should i be worried??
>
>Do i need to seriously look into a new approach??
>
>any comments are greatly appreciated..
>
>Barry

Just one other caveat in addition to the good points made by the other
responders: if you ever Replicate your database (which you won't if it's in
2007 or 2010, that feature has been removed), all your autonumbers will become
random. The next three records might have autonumber values of -228412113,
1924443671 and -889225013. If that won't freak out your users nothing will!
--

John W. Vinson [MVP]
From: Rick Brandt on
Barry A&P wrote:

> I recently viewed a post that said "autonumber is fine as long as you dont
> display it to the user..." Everything in my database references
> autonumbers!! did i make a big mistake somewhere?? i am even marking
> parts with ID numbers that are generated by the autonumber field on a few
> of my tables...
>
> Should i be worried??
>
> Do i need to seriously look into a new approach??
>
> any comments are greatly appreciated..

In my opinion "never expose AutoNumbers to users" is vastly overstated. It
is based on an assumption that users will make assumptions that might
confuse them (like the values should not have gaps).

Well, amongst users the stupid ones will make assumptions that confuse them
about LOTS of things. The smart ones not so much. Many situations will
never expose a long continuous block of records to a user at one time where
an assumption about gaps comes into play anyway.

There are cases where the "business rules" dictate no gaps. In those cases
avoid AutoNumbers. There is little reason to avoid them (and show them to
users) when business rules don't care.

From: Barry A&P on
I am in fact using the autonumber field because i Need a Unique Identifier
for each item. I tried the Consecutive number approach but had many cases
where using DMax+1 then the last record was deleted and the number was
re-created-- I am in Access 2007 and dont know if i will ever need to
replicate (whatever that does) so for now i will cross my fingers and hope i
dont ever see -32481927 as a Unique Identifier for one of my parts.. Cross
that bridge when i get there i guess...

Thank you everybody for your input..

Barry

From: Barry A&P on
Thanks Jeff

I needed to see this line

"(and all things in moderation... a fellow whose experience I greatly respect
quite often displays autonumbers to his user ... but he has a very high
class of users ...<g>)
"

Barry

"Jeff Boyce" wrote:

> Barry
>
> What Daniel and Fred said ...
>
> Access Autonumbers are designed to serve as unique row identifiers, nothing
> else. As such, they are rarely suitable for human consumption.
>
> Keep using them as unique row identifiers, but don't expect your users to
> understand ... OR CARE!
>
> If you want your users to care about some number, use Daniel's approach and
> create a new field, in addition to your autonumber field. Use that new
> field to hold a "sequence number". That one's OK to show the users...
>
> (and all things in moderation... a fellow whose experience I greatly respect
> quite often displays autonumbers to his user ... but he has a very high
> class of users ...<g>)
>
> Regards
>
> Jeff Boyce
> Microsoft Access MVP
>
> --
> Disclaimer: This author may have received products and services mentioned
> in this post. Mention and/or description of a product or service herein
> does not constitute endorsement thereof.

> guarantee as to suitability.

> possible/necessary.
>
> "Barry A&P" <BarryAP(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I recently viewed a post that said "autonumber is fine as long as you dont
> > display it to the user..." Everything in my database references
> > autonumbers!! did i make a big mistake somewhere?? i am even marking
> > parts
> > with ID numbers that are generated by the autonumber field on a few of my
> > tables...
> >
> > Should i be worried??
> >
> > Do i need to seriously look into a new approach??
> >
> > any comments are greatly appreciated..
> >
> > Barry
>

> .

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last