From: Noel Jones on

From: Jeff Sherk Forerunner Ministries on
On 6/21/2010 11:47 AM, Noel Jones wrote:
> On 6/21/2010 12:44 PM, Jeff Sherk Forerunner Ministries wrote:
>> I notice lines like these:
>>
>> indexed = ${default_database_type
>> <http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#default_database_type>}:${config_directory
>> <http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#config_directory>}/
>>
>> smtp_generic_maps
>> <http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#smtp_generic_maps> =
>> ${indexed}generic
>>
>> What are the { curly } brackets for?
>> What does {indexed} do?
>>
>> Thanks
> http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html

Ok reading that doc, it looks like ${default_database_type} and
$default_database_type are identical then?

And as far as ${indexed}generic , I am assuming that it becomes $generic
because there is no indexed variable defined?

Thanks

From: Victor Duchovni on
On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 01:34:45PM -0500, Jeff Sherk Forerunner Ministries wrote:

>> http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html
>
> Ok reading that doc, it looks like ${default_database_type} and
> $default_database_type are identical then?

Almost: ${foo}bar is not the same as $foobar or ${foobar}.

> And as far as ${indexed}generic , I am assuming that it becomes $generic
> because there is no indexed variable defined?

No, in MULTI_INSTANCE_README, "indexed" is defined just before ${indexed}
is used. In fact you quated that very definition up-thread. More attentive
reading will obviate needless questions to this list.

--
Viktor.

From: Jeff Sherk Forerunner Ministries on
On 6/21/2010 12:49 PM, Victor Duchovni wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 01:34:45PM -0500, Jeff Sherk Forerunner Ministries wrote:
>

>>> http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html
>>>
>> Ok reading that doc, it looks like ${default_database_type} and
>> $default_database_type are identical then?
>>
> Almost: ${foo}bar is not the same as $foobar or ${foobar}.
>

>> And as far as ${indexed}generic , I am assuming that it becomes $generic
>> because there is no indexed variable defined?
>>
> No, in MULTI_INSTANCE_README, "indexed" is defined just before ${indexed}
> is used. In fact you quated that very definition up-thread. More attentive
> reading will obviate needless questions to this list.

Oh yes, I am sorry!! I see that indexed is the directory path now!
I have been trying to get this working for so long, that I am not seeing
things that are plainly obvious!
"Where are my glasses? Have you seen my glasses? Oh, they are on my head!"

I still don't understand the difference between this
${default_database_type} and this $default_database_type though ...
if default_database_type=cdb , how will one differ from the other?

Thanks for your helpful answers... I do appreciate it!

From: /dev/rob0 on
On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 02:10:15PM -0500, Jeff Sherk Forerunner
Ministries wrote:
> I still don't understand the difference between this
> ${default_database_type} and this $default_database_type though ...
> if default_database_type=cdb , how will one differ from the other?

They do not differ. Just as in shell syntax, the { } are used to
delineate the boundaries of the variable's name. ${foobar}bas
evaluates to "bas" if foobar is not set. Without the delineation
there might be no way to know what variable name you wanted.

number=7701
street=wyandotte
bingham=${number}$street

Thus "$bingham" is "7701wyandotte" in this silly example. For
real-world Postfixated examples, continue reading in your
documentation.