From: tony cooper on
On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 08:30:09 -0600, George Kerby
<ghost_topper(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

>On 11/3/09 12:36 AM, in article hcoj1k$qbc$1(a)news.eternal-september.org,
>"Matt Ion" <soundy106(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 02/11/2009 9:15 PM, tony cooper wrote:
>>> For the auto buffs here...who made this car?
>>>
>>> I screwed up and lost the note of the model and year, so maker will
>>> do.
>>>
>>> http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f244/cooper213/1879.jpg
>>>
>>> There was a car club show in town.
>>>

>> Looks like a '58-ish Packard Hawk:
>> http://www.aacamuseum.org/images/pic_1958_PackardHawk.jpg
>>
>BINGO! Give the man a teddy bear...

I grew up in Indianapolis, Indiana. Studebakers were made in South
Bend, so I've always had a soft spot for them. I have never seen a
Packard Hawk. Not even at a car show. There were only 588 made.

The photograph is of a Studebaker Hawk. I lost my note where I wrote
down the year and if it was a Golden Hawk or a Silver Hawk. It was a
Studebaker club show, and there were dozens of Hawks there.

Also, several Studebaker Avantis and Avanti IIs. Studebaker made the
Avanti up until 1963, but the 1965 Avanti IIs were made by a different
company who bought the rights.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
From: ray on
On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 15:10:18 -0500, tony cooper wrote:

> On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 08:30:09 -0600, George Kerby
> <ghost_topper(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>>On 11/3/09 12:36 AM, in article hcoj1k$qbc$1(a)news.eternal-september.org,

>>> Looks like a '58-ish Packard Hawk:
>>> http://www.aacamuseum.org/images/pic_1958_PackardHawk.jpg
>>>
>>BINGO! Give the man a teddy bear...
>
> I grew up in Indianapolis, Indiana. Studebakers were made in South
> Bend, so I've always had a soft spot for them. I have never seen a
> Packard Hawk. Not even at a car show. There were only 588 made.
>
> The photograph is of a Studebaker Hawk. I lost my note where I wrote
> down the year and if it was a Golden Hawk or a Silver Hawk. It was a
> Studebaker club show, and there were dozens of Hawks there.
>
> Also, several Studebaker Avantis and Avanti IIs. Studebaker made the
> Avanti up until 1963, but the 1965 Avanti IIs were made by a different
> company who bought the rights.

The Avanti was a radical car! Took the production land speed record away
from a Pontiac Bonneville which had an engine nearly twice as big. We had
a '60 Lark V8 - manual with O/D - it was dynamite. Ran 25 mpg or better
on the highway at 75 mph - not much can do better than that today. I
always figured Studebaker went under because they were simply too far
ahead of the times.

From: Savageduck on
On 2009-11-03 12:10:18 -0800, tony cooper <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> said:

> On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 08:30:09 -0600, George Kerby
> <ghost_topper(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On 11/3/09 12:36 AM, in article hcoj1k$qbc$1(a)news.eternal-september.org,

>>> Looks like a '58-ish Packard Hawk:
>>> http://www.aacamuseum.org/images/pic_1958_PackardHawk.jpg
>>>
>> BINGO! Give the man a teddy bear...
>
> I grew up in Indianapolis, Indiana. Studebakers were made in South
> Bend, so I've always had a soft spot for them. I have never seen a
> Packard Hawk. Not even at a car show. There were only 588 made.
>
> The photograph is of a Studebaker Hawk. I lost my note where I wrote
> down the year and if it was a Golden Hawk or a Silver Hawk. It was a
> Studebaker club show, and there were dozens of Hawks there.
>
> Also, several Studebaker Avantis and Avanti IIs. Studebaker made the
> Avanti up until 1963, but the 1965 Avanti IIs were made by a different
> company who bought the rights.

Yes, It would most likely be a Studebaker Golden Hawk. However the
antenna placement makes me think more '58 Packard hawk.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Packard_Hawk_rear.jpg

The '57, '58 Packards were for the most part rebadged Studebakers, by
1959 Packard was gone. The last real Packards were the 1955 Clippers.
The 1956 cars were just 1955 production over runs.

--
Regards,

Savageduck

From: Frank ess on

Savageduck wrote:
> On 2009-11-03 12:10:18 -0800, tony cooper
> <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> said:
>> On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 08:30:09 -0600, George Kerby
>> <ghost_topper(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> On 11/3/09 12:36 AM, in article
>>> hcoj1k$qbc$1(a)news.eternal-september.org, "Matt Ion"

>>> BINGO! Give the man a teddy bear...
>>
>> I grew up in Indianapolis, Indiana. Studebakers were made in South
>> Bend, so I've always had a soft spot for them. I have never seen a
>> Packard Hawk. Not even at a car show. There were only 588 made.
>>
>> The photograph is of a Studebaker Hawk. I lost my note where I
>> wrote down the year and if it was a Golden Hawk or a Silver Hawk.
>> It was a Studebaker club show, and there were dozens of Hawks
>> there. Also, several Studebaker Avantis and Avanti IIs. Studebaker
>> made
>> the Avanti up until 1963, but the 1965 Avanti IIs were made by a
>> different company who bought the rights.
>
> Yes, It would most likely be a Studebaker Golden Hawk. However the
> antenna placement makes me think more '58 Packard hawk.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Packard_Hawk_rear.jpg
>
> The '57, '58 Packards were for the most part rebadged Studebakers,
> by 1959 Packard was gone. The last real Packards were the 1955
> Clippers. The 1956 cars were just 1955 production over runs.

One I caught during a period when I carried a Canon A-1 with 24mm at
the ready:
http://www.fototime.com/172459F20A27772/orig.jpg

What car was I in?

--
Frank ess

From: Savageduck on
On 2009-11-03 14:14:44 -0800, "Frank ess" <frank(a)fshe2fs.com> said:

> Savageduck wrote:
>> On 2009-11-03 12:10:18 -0800, tony cooper
>> <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> said:

>>> I grew up in Indianapolis, Indiana. Studebakers were made in South
>>> Bend, so I've always had a soft spot for them. I have never seen a
>>> Packard Hawk. Not even at a car show. There were only 588 made.
>>>
>>> The photograph is of a Studebaker Hawk. I lost my note where I
>>> wrote down the year and if it was a Golden Hawk or a Silver Hawk. It
>>> was a Studebaker club show, and there were dozens of Hawks
>>> there. Also, several Studebaker Avantis and Avanti IIs. Studebaker made
>>> the Avanti up until 1963, but the 1965 Avanti IIs were made by a
>>> different company who bought the rights.
>>
>> Yes, It would most likely be a Studebaker Golden Hawk. However the
>> antenna placement makes me think more '58 Packard hawk.
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Packard_Hawk_rear.jpg
>>
>> The '57, '58 Packards were for the most part rebadged Studebakers,
>> by 1959 Packard was gone. The last real Packards were the 1955
>> Clippers. The 1956 cars were just 1955 production over runs.
>
> One I caught during a period when I carried a Canon A-1 with 24mm at the ready:
> http://www.fototime.com/172459F20A27772/orig.jpg
>
> What car was I in?

Do you mean that Nissubarutoyotafordchevbuickvwlincchrysliac GTO?
--
Regards,

Savageduck