From: David Eather on
On 28/07/2010 5:41 AM, Fiziwig wrote:
> On Jul 27, 7:07 am, rossum<rossu...(a)coldmail.com> wrote:

>>> Ciphertext: WYLBNIMGTHAD
>>> Plaintext: OWA TUNAS SIAM
>>
>>> This decrypts to a short prayer I learned about in Boy Scouts. The
>>> natives of Siam were having a bad drought, crops were dying, and
>>> they needed rain badly. So they prayed:
>>
>>> OWA (the name of their God)
>>> TUNAS (the word for rain)
>>> SIAM (where they wanted the rain)
>>
>>> There were some complicated hand and body motions to go with this.
>>
>>> You were to keep repeating this, faster and faster, until enlightenment
>>> comes to you. Note that the solution has nothing whatsoever to do
>>> with oil leaks and BP.
>>
>> My father learned something similar in the RAF during the war.
>> However the version he learned was OH WATANA SIAM, a hymn of praise to
>> the wonders of the kingdom of Thailand.
>>
>> rossum
>
> The old TV series Odd Couple used the PG-rated version OWA TAGU SIAM.
>
> --gary

So did an episode of Mork and Mindy
From: Patrick FitzGerald on
On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 21:10:21 -0700 (PDT), Ki Song
<keylimepie82(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>My penpal from Mexico (who is studying cryptology) sent me this...
>mysterious message... does anyone have any clue as to what that could
>possibly mean? I tried rot n for n = 1 to 25, but I couldn't get
>anything out.
>
>Any kind of input would be greatly appreciated! :D

What You Learn By Numerically Integrating Mathematical Groups That Are
Differentiable

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Patrick
From: Ken Pledger on
In article
<3c5a01db-b543-4b8d-a107-4eb6a8dfc071(a)z25g2000vbn.googlegroups.com>,
Ki Song <keylimepie82(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> My penpal from Mexico (who is studying cryptology) sent me this...
> mysterious message... does anyone have any clue as to what that could
> possibly mean? I tried rot n for n = 1 to 25, but I couldn't get
> anything out.
>
> Any kind of input would be greatly appreciated! :D

It looks like an internet acronym, but more obscure than IMHO,
IIRC, LOL, etc. It's not included in the list at
<http://sh1.webring.com/people/be/ed88/abbreviations.html>
but two long entries in that list begin "WYL..." meaning "Would you
like...". Can you guess what your friend might think you would like?

HTH

Ken Pledger.
From: Nestor on
Ki Song wrote:
> My penpal from Mexico (who is studying cryptology) sent me this...
> mysterious message... does anyone have any clue as to what that could
> possibly mean? I tried rot n for n = 1 to 25, but I couldn't get
> anything out.
>
> Any kind of input would be greatly appreciated! :D

That is strange. There are no repeated letters. That rules out simple
substitution. I suspect it makes acronyms unlikely because it would be
hard to get 16 words that make sense with all initial letters different.
It also means it can't be a transposition.

Maybe your penpal will send you more messages?