From: Ki Song on
My penpal from Mexico (who is studying cryptology) sent me this...
mysterious message... does anyone have any clue as to what that could
possibly mean? I tried rot n for n = 1 to 25, but I couldn't get
anything out.

Any kind of input would be greatly appreciated! :D
From: Gordon Burditt on
>My penpal from Mexico (who is studying cryptology) sent me this...
>mysterious message... does anyone have any clue as to what that could
>possibly mean? I tried rot n for n = 1 to 25, but I couldn't get
>anything out.
>
>Any kind of input would be greatly appreciated! :D

Ciphertext: WYLBNIMGTHAD
Plaintext: OWA TUNAS SIAM

This decrypts to a short prayer I learned about in Boy Scouts. The
natives of Siam were having a bad drought, crops were dying, and
they needed rain badly. So they prayed:

OWA (the name of their God)
TUNAS (the word for rain)
SIAM (where they wanted the rain)

There were some complicated hand and body motions to go with this.

You were to keep repeating this, faster and faster, until enlightenment
comes to you. Note that the solution has nothing whatsoever to do
with oil leaks and BP.

From: jbriggs444 on
On Jul 27, 12:10 am, Ki Song <keylimepi...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> My penpal from Mexico (who is studying cryptology) sent me this...
> mysterious message... does anyone have any clue as to what that could
> possibly mean?  I tried rot n for n = 1 to 25, but I couldn't get
> anything out.
>
> Any kind of input would be greatly appreciated! :D

Write you later, but not in morning. Going to have all day.
From: rossum on
On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 00:47:36 -0500, gordonb.yz01f(a)burditt.org (Gordon
Burditt) wrote:

>>My penpal from Mexico (who is studying cryptology) sent me this...
>>mysterious message... does anyone have any clue as to what that could
>>possibly mean? I tried rot n for n = 1 to 25, but I couldn't get
>>anything out.
>>
>>Any kind of input would be greatly appreciated! :D
>
>Ciphertext: WYLBNIMGTHAD
>Plaintext: OWA TUNAS SIAM
>
>This decrypts to a short prayer I learned about in Boy Scouts. The
>natives of Siam were having a bad drought, crops were dying, and
>they needed rain badly. So they prayed:
>
> OWA (the name of their God)
> TUNAS (the word for rain)
> SIAM (where they wanted the rain)
>
>There were some complicated hand and body motions to go with this.
>
>You were to keep repeating this, faster and faster, until enlightenment
>comes to you. Note that the solution has nothing whatsoever to do
>with oil leaks and BP.

My father learned something similar in the RAF during the war.
However the version he learned was OH WATANA SIAM, a hymn of praise to
the wonders of the kingdom of Thailand.

rossum

From: Fiziwig on
On Jul 27, 7:07 am, rossum <rossu...(a)coldmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 00:47:36 -0500, gordonb.yz...(a)burditt.org (Gordon
>

> Burditt) wrote:
> >>My penpal from Mexico (who is studying cryptology) sent me this...
> >>mysterious message... does anyone have any clue as to what that could
> >>possibly mean?  I tried rot n for n = 1 to 25, but I couldn't get
> >>anything out.
>
> >>Any kind of input would be greatly appreciated! :D
>
> >Ciphertext: WYLBNIMGTHAD
> >Plaintext:  OWA TUNAS SIAM
>
> >This decrypts to a short prayer I learned about in Boy Scouts.  The
> >natives of Siam were having a bad drought, crops were dying, and
> >they needed rain badly.  So they prayed:
>
> >    OWA     (the name of their God)
> >    TUNAS   (the word for rain)
> >    SIAM    (where they wanted the rain)
>
> >There were some complicated hand and body motions to go with this.
>
> >You were to keep repeating this, faster and faster, until enlightenment
> >comes to you.  Note that the solution has nothing whatsoever to do
> >with oil leaks and BP.
>
> My father learned something similar in the RAF during the war.
> However the version he learned was OH WATANA SIAM, a hymn of praise to
> the wonders of the kingdom of Thailand.
>
> rossum

The old TV series Odd Couple used the PG-rated version OWA TAGU SIAM.

--gary