From: Tom St Denis on
mistral wrote:
> you can remove this value, this does not matter, its just sample, old.
> I dont know why there not used SSL/TLS. Just try to break it, as you
> consider it as ugly, clumsy code.

Are you retarded or something?

Aside from the a possible bug or weak password it's not likely to be
broken.

But I don't care to look at it because it's unoriginal and just a dirty
scrap of code. I've got better things to do with my time.

Tom

From: mistral on

TC пиÑ?ал(а):

> mistral wrote:
>
> > its old page, encrypted with "HTML Password Lock", nothing private
> > there. Just clear sample that simple encryption software can provide a
> > good protection. As you can see, its not so easy to break even this
> > small page.
>
> So to me you say the purpose is: (1) "protection from robots
> (software) and for [from?] non tech users", but to Tom you say the
> purpose is: (2) to show that "simple encryption software can provide a
> good protection".
>
> If the purpose is (1), then, the code is hopelessly over-complicated.
> If the purpose is (2), then, no-one disagrees with that! (Of course you
> can write strong encryption in javascript.)
>
> Bye :-)
> TC (MVP MSAccess)
> http://tc2.atspace.com
-----------
this code sample is not related with my note about "protection from
robots", I meant another code. The above mentioned encrypted code is
another sample.

m.

From: Dave on

From: Dave on
I am new to crytography, but I am very interested in decoding a web
page that somebody else wrote with this very MTOPsoft HTML Password
Lock software.

As you can see by inspecting the code, it has a checksum verification
of the password so it can give an alert if the wrong password is typed
in. But there is a 1 in 128 chance that it will accept any random
password, yet will not decrypt the text properly. This complicates a
"brute force" attack on the password.

Where can I find a descrition of the RC4 and MD5 algorithms, and just
how strong are they?
Do I even need to bother with MD5, since this just hashes the password
and an already hashed password for decryption would be fine.

The situation is that encrypted text and a decryption program are
supplied, but a user supplied password is needed. I would like to
somehow attack the algorithm so as to get the plaintext, either by
discovering the password or otherwise. Since I have a copy of the
encryption code (from MTOPsoft), I can encrypt my own known plaintext
with a known password if this would help any.

I am asking you to please point me in the right direction to crack this
particular encryption algorithm.

Are you concerned with the nature of the web page that I wish to crack,
or no? If you want I can give you the link. It is just a regular web
page on the internet.

From: rossum on
On 3 Oct 2006 15:15:58 -0700, "Dave" <dave42972000(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>As you can see by inspecting the code, it has a checksum verification
>of the password so it can give an alert if the wrong password is typed
>in. But there is a 1 in 128 chance that it will accept any random
>password, yet will not decrypt the text properly. This complicates a
>"brute force" attack on the password.
No, it simplifies a brute force attack. When I try a password I start
by doing a simple and quick checksum, I only have to run it through
MD5 (longer and complex) iff it passes the checksum. That reduces the
amount of work I need to do to brute force the password.

>Where can I find a descrition of the RC4 and MD5 algorithms, and just
>how strong are they?
RC4: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RC4
MD5: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MD5

Both are a bit long in the tooth and not recommended for use in new
applications unless for backwards compatibility. They are plenty
strong enough for mistral's "non-tech users and robots" but not for
keeping things from government agencies with three letter names. RC4
in particular is popular because it is extremely easy to program.

For new applications the standard recommendations are AES for
encryption and SHA-256 for hashing. Your specific requirements may
indicate different choices.

AES: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Encryption_Standard
SHA-256: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SHA

rossum