From: Tim Downie on
I'm not talking about going over my allowance, just using it within my
allowance. The terms and conditions are pretty clear about it not being
permissable but I'd like to link up my ipod touch occasionally to the net
and it seems the easiest way to do it. I'm on a pay-monthly deal with
"unlimited" internet (i.e. 1GB per month)

http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/services/uk/fairuse/?WT.mc_id=fup#fup1

I understand some providers are more draconian than others in how they deal
with such "misuse" although as long as it's within one's allowance I'm not
sure why they worry.

Tim

From: White Spirit on
On 20/07/2010 08:51, Tim Downie wrote:

> I'm not talking about going over my allowance, just using it within my
> allowance. The terms and conditions are pretty clear about it not being
> permissable but I'd like to link up my ipod touch occasionally to the
> net and it seems the easiest way to do it. I'm on a pay-monthly deal
> with "unlimited" internet (i.e. 1GB per month)

Go with Vodafone - they don't care what device you use to make use of
your data package.
From: Tim Downie on
White Spirit wrote:
> On 20/07/2010 08:51, Tim Downie wrote:
>
>> I'm not talking about going over my allowance, just using it within
>> my allowance. The terms and conditions are pretty clear about it not
>> being permissable but I'd like to link up my ipod touch occasionally
>> to the net and it seems the easiest way to do it. I'm on a
>> pay-monthly deal with "unlimited" internet (i.e. 1GB per month)
>
> Go with Vodafone - they don't care what device you use to make use of
> your data package.

Just left Vodafone. ;-) T-mobile just happened to have a much better deal
for me. Perhaps at the end of my contract I might switch back.

Tim

From: Tim Downie on
occassionally-confused(a)nospam.co.uk wrote:
> "Tim Downie" <timdownie2003(a)yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> I'm not talking about going over my allowance, just using it within
>> my allowance. The terms and conditions are pretty clear about it
>> not being permissable but I'd like to link up my ipod touch
>> occasionally to the net and it seems the easiest way to do it. I'm
>> on a pay-monthly deal with "unlimited" internet (i.e. 1GB per month)
>>
>> http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/services/uk/fairuse/?WT.mc_id=fup#fup1
>>
>> I understand some providers are more draconian than others in how
>> they deal with such "misuse" although as long as it's within one's
>> allowance I'm not sure why they worry.
>>
>> Tim
>
> I don't think TM can tell. It has been suggested by some insider that
> they check for tethering (actually look at the data) only in very high
> usage / abuse cases.
>
> Technically, it would be possible for them to monitor the data for the
> purposes of detecting tethering but this would throw up a lot of false
> positives because a lot of the fancy phones can and do run apps which
> look like PC apps (VPN, etc).
>
> What TM definitely do is provision different SIMs on different
> tariffs. E.g. if you buy a SIM card alone or with a phone, and then
> buy an EU data bundle for �10, it will last 30 days (and you get 50MB)
> but if you bought the SIM card with a TM USB GPRS/3G radio, you still
> get 50MB but the bundle expires after JUST 24 HOURS. I got this from
> their CS, FWIW.
>
> Voda run the same scam, but they make it equally non-transparent by
> referring to "phone" and "laptop" rates on their website. Voda also
> have a long history of provisioning some Voda-branded 3G radio product
> SIMs on tariffs which are very expensive, and even their Directors
> Complaints Department (no kidding, it is called that) doesn't have the
> power to get to the bottom of the apparently excessive billing.
> Binning the SIM card and buying a fresh one is the only way.
>
> I am with TM myself and use the phone as a modem all the time,
> especially when EU travelling because I pick up emails with the phone,
> don't want to buy a second data bundle for the laptop (which has an
> internal 3G radio), and you get absolutely NO data connectivity until
> you buy that stupic fcucking bundle.

Thanks for the reassurance.

Tim

From: White Spirit on
On 20/07/2010 23:40, Peter wrote:

> I had been with Voda for years and they p1ssed me off to many times,
> with arrogant and stupid CS giving me bollox, especially the crowd on
> Mars who are too illiterate to read more than 1 line of an email. At
> least you can phone up T-M (for now ;)).

You can call Vodafone customer services as well. I never bother
e-mailing any customer services as all companies' seem to be illiterate.

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: iPhone 4 jokes
Next: What is "tethering"?