From: rkc on
On Apr 4, 5:21 pm, FraserOrr <fraser...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> I am trying to find good data on who uses the product, what they use
> it for, and what industries it is used in. Do people create their own
> databases, or do they tend to use experts? What are the primary goals
> of an access database as opposed to the various other products in
> office such as InfoPath and Excel.

There is a six year thread, What Do You Use Microsoft Access For?
that can be found at:

http://www.utteraccess.com/forum/Microsoft-Access-For-t378324.html
From: RonG on
Hi,

I'm the owner of a small company that markets a desktop solution for
managing artist businesses called WorkingArtist. The current system
makes use of the Access97 runtime, and I'm in the process of upgrading
the system to Access2007.

I think you're going to find that most Access developers are either
doing internal development for their company, or are consultants who
create a large variety of applications for their clients. Not many
people working as ISVs (Independent Software Vendors) using Access as
their development platform from what I can tell based on discussions
within this group and a few others that I follow. It could be I'm
just looking in the wrong place.

Ron

From: bubbles on
On Apr 5, 5:21 am, FraserOrr <fraser...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> I am writing a paper on the use of Microsoft Access, and consequently,
> I am trying to find good data on who uses the product, what they use
> it for, and what industries it is used in. Do people create their own
> databases, or do they tend to use experts? What are the primary goals
> of an access database as opposed to the various other products in
> office such as InfoPath and Excel.
>
> Does anyone know where I could find such data? Are there any studies
> on this matter? If you are a consultant and expert in the field, do
> you have any personal opinions to share on this matter?
>
> It is a pain to find this sort of data on the web because "access" and
> "microsoft" are such generic terms, so any intelligent input would be
> a great help. (I am sure it would also be useful to the broader access
> community too.)
>
> Thanks in advance.

In the past 10 years, I have been working as a consultant, developing
software for various categories of clients.
These include:
* Military organizations
* Law Enforcement Agencies
* Credit Card companies
* Banks and other financial institutions
* Mining companies
* Membership Clubs
* Manufacturing companies
* Tax Consultants
* Online Stores
* Bar-code applications

Most of these are using Access as front-end, with either SQL Server or
Access as backend.
There's also online applications that use Access in the back-end and
ASP (server side scripts).
And of course there's lots of TSQL/SQL and VBA programming involved.

Some of these organizations use Access exclusively for complete
applications - typically these
are smaller companies. Larger organizations use SQL Server / Oracle /
Sybase on the back-end,
but does quite a fair bit of inter- or intra-department applications
with Access as the UI.