From: FraserOrr on
I am writing a paper on the use of Microsoft Access, and consequently,
I am trying to find good data on who uses the product, what they use
it for, and what industries it is used in. Do people create their own
databases, or do they tend to use experts? What are the primary goals
of an access database as opposed to the various other products in
office such as InfoPath and Excel.

Does anyone know where I could find such data? Are there any studies
on this matter? If you are a consultant and expert in the field, do
you have any personal opinions to share on this matter?

It is a pain to find this sort of data on the web because "access" and
"microsoft" are such generic terms, so any intelligent input would be
a great help. (I am sure it would also be useful to the broader access
community too.)

Thanks in advance.
From: Wayne on

This may be a start: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Access
From: Albert D. Kallal on
"FraserOrr" <fraserorr(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> I am writing a paper on the use of Microsoft Access, and consequently,
> I am trying to find good data on who uses the product, what they use
> it for, and what industries it is used in. Do people create their own
> databases, or do they tend to use experts? What are the primary goals
> of an access database as opposed to the various other products in
> office such as InfoPath and Excel.
>
> Does anyone know where I could find such data? Are there any studies
> on this matter? If you are a consultant and expert in the field, do
> you have any personal opinions to share on this matter?
>
> It is a pain to find this sort of data on the web because "access" and
> "microsoft" are such generic terms, so any intelligent input would be
> a great help. (I am sure it would also be useful to the broader access
> community too.)
>
> Thanks in advance.

Start here on the access team blog:

They just asked your question last week, and the responses are great:

You find that blog post here:
http://blogs.msdn.com/access/archive/2010/03/24/feedback-request-tell-us-about-your-latest-database-project.aspx

The above has 31 responses, and a ton of great examples

And, here is another one:

The Access Show:
How the Microsoft Legal Department uses Access 2010 web databases

http://blogs.msdn.com/access/archive/2010/03/08/the-access-show-how-the-microsoft-legal-department-uses-access-2010-web-databases.aspx

Now that the new version of access allows one to build web based
applications, then even large companies like Microsoft can deploy and use
ms-access without regards to what version they have on their desktop. And,
things like security and scalability are also solved with this web choice we
now have.

I can't remember any time in MANY years that Access is actually being used
internal at Microsoft and even more so that they were willing to talk about
it in public! So, I must say things are really looking up for access here.

And, here is a web based application demo video I built in access:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AU4mH0jPntI

--
Albert D. Kallal (Access MVP)
Edmonton, Alberta Canada

From: Tony Toews [MVP] on
FraserOrr <fraserorr(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>I am writing a paper on the use of Microsoft Access, and consequently,
>I am trying to find good data on who uses the product, what they use
>it for, and what industries it is used in.

http://accesstips.datamanagementsolutions.biz/apps.htm
Granite Fleet Manage - http://granitefleet.com/

With respect to the Auto FE Updater, a utility used with Access,
"I've received emails from folks at Boeing, BMW, Daimler Chrysler, Starbucks, Bank of
Canada, Royal Bank of Canada, a number of hospitals, all branches of the US Military,
the Canadian Armed Forces, the US FDA, the Australian Dept of Health, the Inspector
General's Office of California, Boston Architectural Collage, NASA, Lawrence
Livermore National Laboratory, Staples, University of Washington, IBM, Winnebago,
Avon, the IRS, Bombardier and many more."
http://www.autofeupdater.com/

>Do people create their own
>databases, or do they tend to use experts?

Both.

>What are the primary goals
>of an access database as opposed to the various other products in
>office such as InfoPath and Excel.

Access organizes data better than Excel and allows for multi user access to that
data. Although much more than that.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
From: Allen Browne on
Steve Schapel ran a blog series describing some real-world uses of Access: