From: JLatham on
I think Gord Dibben has given a good explanation of what " " means, and why
you should most often use "" instead <g> (which I agree with).

The ! is a separator character between a sheet name and a cell range. Such
as:
=Sheet1!A5
says to echo the contents of cell A5 on Sheet1.
and
=SUM('Another Sheet'!A6:A10)
says to perform the SUM function on cells A6:A10 on a sheet named Another
Sheet. In this case, because there is a space in the other sheet's name, you
have to enclose the sheet name in the single quote marks as shown.

Hope this helps.