From: phlebas on
My PC generated this error code after 'recovering' from a serious error.
BCCode:1000008e
BCP1:C0000005
BCP2:8056A536
BCP3B7E2CC40
BCP4:00000000
OSVer:5_1_2600 SP2_0
Product:768_1
It still crashes and recovers from the same error. Is it an OS error or
Software/Hardware.

Thanks
From: James Hahn on
This one seems closest to your situation:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=316424
Error Message: The System Has Recovered from a Serious Problem

From: David Candy on
0x1000008e is same as 0x8e

Driver Development Tools: Windows DDK

Bug Check 0x8E: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
The KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED bug check has a value of 0x0000008E. This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.

Parameters
The following parameters are displayed on the blue screen.

Parameter Description
1 The exception code that was not handled
2 The address at which the exception occurred
3 The trap frame
4 Reserved

Cause
This is a very common bug check. To interpret it, you must identify which exception was generated.

Common exception codes include:

a.. 0x80000002: STATUS_DATATYPE_MISALIGNMENT
An unaligned data reference was encountered.

b.. 0x80000003: STATUS_BREAKPOINT
A breakpoint or ASSERT was encountered when no kernel debugger was attached to the system. • 0xC0000005: STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION

A memory access violation occurred.

For a complete list of exception codes, see the ntstatus.h file located in the inc directory of the Windows DDK.

Resolving the Problem
If you are not equipped to debug this problem, you should use some basic troubleshooting techniques. Make sure you have enough disk space. If a driver is identified in the bug check message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try changing video adapters. Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing.

If you plan to debug this problem, you may find it difficult to obtain a stack trace. Parameter 2 (the exception address) should pinpoint the driver or function that caused this problem.

If exception code 0x80000003 occurs, this indicates that a hard-coded breakpoint or assertion was hit, but the system was started with the /NODEBUG switch. This problem should rarely occur. If it occurs repeatedly, make sure a kernel debugger is connected and the system is started with the /DEBUG switch.

If exception code 0x80000002 occurs, the trap frame will supply additional information.

If the specific cause of the exception is unknown, the following should be considered:

Hardware incompatibility. First, make sure that any new hardware installed is listed on the Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility List (HCL).

Faulty device driver or system service. In addition, a faulty device driver or system service might be responsible for this error. Hardware issues, such as BIOS incompatibilities, memory conflicts, and IRQ conflicts can also generate this error.

If a driver is listed by name within the bug check message, disable or remove that driver. Disable or remove any drivers or services that were recently added. If the error occurs during the startup sequence and the system partition is formatted with NTFS file system, you might be able to use Safe Mode to rename or delete the faulty driver. If the driver is used as part of the system startup process in Safe Mode, you need to start the computer by using the Recovery Console to access the file.

If the problem is associated with Win32k.sys, the source of the error might be a third-party remote control program. If such software is installed, the service can be removed by starting the system using the Recovery Console and deleting the offending system service file.

Check the System Log in Event Viewer for additional error messages that might help pinpoint the device or driver that is causing bug check 0x1E. Disabling memory caching of the BIOS might also resolve the error. You should also run hardware diagnostics, especially the memory scanner, supplied by the system manufacturer. For details on these procedures, see the owner’s manual for your computer.

The error that generates this message can occur after the first restart during Windows Setup, or after Setup is finished. A possible cause of the error is lack of disk space for installation and system BIOS incompatibilities. For problems during Windows installation that are associated with lack of disk space, reduce the number of files on the target hard disk. Check for and delete any unneeded temporary files, Internet cache files, application backup files, and .chk files containing saved file fragments from disk scans. You can also use another hard disk with more free space for the installation. BIOS problems can be resolved by upgrading the system BIOS version.

Send feedback on this topic. / Built on Thursday, February 13, 2003

Memory Tester
============

http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

If it's not hardware
==============

Type verifier in Start Run, follow the wizard but choose All Drivers. This will slow down your computer and cause more blue screen crashes but will pinpoint what is causing the crash (if the original error message didn't). Once you fix it you rerun verifier and turn it off.

You will be creating a crash dump file in c:\windows\minidump every blue screen.

Then

If you have the XP SP2 Security Update CD

Install symbols from <CD Drive Letter>:\SUPPORT\SYMBOLS

Download
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtools/debugging/installx86.mspx

Load the crash dump file into windbg (File - Load Crash Dump and it's in c:\windows\minidump) and READ WHAT IT SAYS, then
Type
!Analyze -v
into Windbg's command line.
(this will hopefully tell you the faulty component)

If the above is too technical then email the crash dump files to davidc @ mvps.org. Don't send me lots of them. Just the one from your last crash and one from your next crash after you turn verifier on. And only one per mail.

From Help (you want small memory dumps)
==================================
To specify what Windows does if the system stops unexpectedly

You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group in order to complete this procedure. If your computer is connected to a network, network policy settings might also prevent you from completing this procedure.

1.. Open System in Control Panel.
2.. On the Advanced tab, under Startup and Recovery, click Settings.
3.. Under System Failure, select the check boxes that correspond to the actions you want Windows to perform if a Stop error occurs:
a.. Write an event to the system log specifies that event information will be recorded in the system log.
b.. Send an administrative alert specifies that your system administrator will be notified.
c.. Automatically reboot specifies that Windows will automatically restart your computer.
4.. Under Write Debugging Information, choose the type of information you want Windows to record when the system stops unexpectedly:
a.. Small Memory Dump records the smallest amount of information that will help identify the problem. This option requires a paging file of at least 2 MB on the boot volume of your computer and specifies that Windows will create a new file each time the system stops unexpectedly. A history of these files is stored in the directory listed under Small Dump Directory.
b.. Kernel Memory Dump records only kernel memory, which speeds up the process of recording information in a log when the system stops unexpectedly. Depending on the amount of RAM in your computer, you must have 50 MB to 800 MB available for the paging file on the boot volume. The file is stored in the directory listed under Dump File.
c.. Complete Memory Dump records the entire contents of system memory when the system stops unexpectedly. If you choose this option you must have a paging file on the boot volume large enough to hold all of the physical RAM plus one megabyte (MB). The file is stored in the directory listed under Dump File.
Notes

a.. To open System, click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click System.
b.. You must have at least a 2-MB paging file on the computer's boot volume if you select Write an event to the system log or Send an administrative alert.
c.. If you choose either Kernel Memory Dump or Complete Memory Dump and select the Overwrite any existing file check box, Windows always writes to the same file name. To save individual dump files, clear the Overwrite any existing file check box and change the file name after each Stop error.
d.. You can save some memory if you clear the Write an event to the system log and Send an administrative alert check boxes. The memory saved depends on the computer, but typically about 60 KB to 70 KB are required by these features.
e.. If you contact Microsoft Product Support Services about a Stop error, they might ask for the system-memory dump file generated by the Write Debugging Information option.
Related Topics

http://www.microscum.com/mscommunity/

From: phlebas on
Thanks for your response.
Phlebas

From: phlebas on
Thanks for your response. I worked through your advice and now seem to have a
fully functioning pc again. Windbg pointed to some ATI files, so I
reinstalled the drivers.
many thanks
Phlebas