From: Pavel Romanovski on
What does the = 0 mean at the end of these function definitions?

template <class Etype>
void Write(const Etype & X) = 0;
const Etype & Read() const = 0;
From: Alf P. Steinbach on
* Pavel Romanovski:
> What does the = 0 mean at the end of these function definitions?
>
> template <class Etype>
> void Write(const Etype & X) = 0;
> const Etype & Read() const = 0;

This is not real code.

One can always *guess* about what the real code must have been, and in this case
that's not too difficult.

But then, if e.g. I did that and it turned out to be a lucky guess, then next
time you're asking about something you'd do the same, posting incomplete and
misleading information about the problem, so please, post the real code.

Cheers & hth.,

- Alf

PS: Any good textbook discusses the basic syntax of C++.
From: osmium on
"Pavel Romanovski" wrote:

> What does the = 0 mean at the end of these function definitions?
>
> template <class Etype>
> void Write(const Etype & X) = 0;
> const Etype & Read() const = 0;

The "= 0" syntax is used to identify a *pure* virtual function.

Look around on the link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_function#Abstract_classes_and_pure_virtual_functions