From: Brad C on
As I sift through the disaster of upgrading from Q2007 H&B to Q2010
H&B, I have lots of time to ponder what may have happened.

Situation: Since the QEL file apparently did *not* convert
successfully, I face re-processing 800+ Quicken Bill Pay transactions
(going back to 2004), which poured into my registers when I
reconnected QBP in Q2010. I now get to spend New Year's week (several
days) going thru each & every 800 transactions & re-matching,
ignoring, accepting, etc.

How could this have happened? If I had known that my 2007 data file(s)
may have been compromised somehow, I could have taken measures
beforehand, such as "validate" to avert this monumental bookkeeping
disaster. But does "validate" handle files outside of QDF? Would
validate have even helped with a failed QEL conversion ??

RE: Validating: (1) what does that do? Some of the documentation I've
read says not to do this regularly. (2) Is there a downside to
validating? (3) Does it compromise file integrity over time? (4) Is a
report generated by validate every time or only if there is a problem?
(5) Does validate self-correct problems?

My data file is not as old as some (probably 8 years old), but I want
to use whatever *best practices* are out there to assure the integrity
of this file. It is 17 MB & goes back to Jan 06. (6) Does size of the
file compromise integrity?

Sorry about lengthy post, but I'm faced with huge disaster that should
not happen to anyone.
From: Brad C on
On Jan 7, 10:33 am, Brad C <bcoff...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> As I sift through the disaster of upgrading from Q2007 H&B to Q2010
> H&B, I have lots of time to ponder what may have happened.
>
> Situation: Since the QEL file apparently did *not* convert
> successfully, I face re-processing 800+ Quicken Bill Pay transactions
> (going back to 2004), which poured into my registers when I
> reconnected QBP in Q2010. I now get to spend New Year's week (several
> days) going thru each & every 800 transactions & re-matching,
> ignoring, accepting, etc.
>
> How could this have happened? If I had known that my 2007 data file(s)
> may have been compromised somehow, I could have taken measures
> beforehand, such as "validate" to avert this monumental bookkeeping
> disaster.  But does "validate" handle files outside of QDF?  Would
> validate have even helped with a failed QEL conversion ??
>
> RE: Validating: (1) what does that do? Some of the documentation I've
> read says not to do this regularly. (2) Is there a downside to
> validating? (3) Does it compromise file integrity over time? (4) Is a
> report generated by validate every time or only if there is a problem?
> (5) Does validate self-correct problems?
>
> My data file is not as old as some (probably 8 years old), but I want
> to use whatever *best practices* are out there to assure the integrity
> of this file. It is 17 MB & goes back to Jan 06. (6) Does size of the
> file compromise integrity?
>
> Sorry about lengthy post, but I'm faced with huge disaster that should
> not happen to anyone.

My post above had important questions that apparently nobody on this
listserve wanted to touch. There were several questions; however,
they had to do with validation & ultimately *best practices* for
upgrading versions of Quicken. At the Quicken Online Community, the
questions were answered quickly and thoughtfully -- I would highly
recommend them ...