From: John Levine on
I'm setting up a new server running 8.1. It's a reasonably fast used
HP box with dual CPU, 12G of RAM, and six U320 15Krpm 72G disks. It
sits in a data center and does a mix of mail and web stuff with the
usual programs, apache and mysql for the web, netqmail+mailfront and
dovecot for mail with a lot of glue and procmail. Its predecessor is
pretty disk bound when it's busy.

I can set up the HP disk controller to make the disks look like
separate disks, or make them all into a RAID5 or a combination. The
controller RAID works nicely -- fbsd even syslogs the messages when I
pull a disk, stick in a new one, and it rebuilds.

So what should I use? The easiest is ufs on a controller RAID.
Should I just do that? Use ufs with journalling? zfs on top of
controller RAID? zfs on individual disks?

R's,
John

From: Torfinn Ingolfsen on
John Levine wrote:
> So what should I use? The easiest is ufs on a controller RAID.
> Should I just do that? Use ufs with journalling? zfs on top of
> controller RAID? zfs on individual disks?

If you decide on zfs, I believe the recommendation is to use zfs on
individual disks. There might be a benefit to using raid controller
cache, if your raid controller supports that (you should research this
party further; I only have experience with non-raid attached disks and zfs).

HTH
--
Torfinn Ingolfsen,
Norway
From: steve on
On Aug 8, 1:25 pm, John Levine <jo...(a)iecc.com> wrote:

> So what should I use?  The easiest is ufs on a controller RAID.
> Should I just do that?  Use ufs with journalling?  zfs on top of

I use UFS2 with softupdates, and I would recommend using it.

Recently, UFS2+softupdates has grown a journaling capability
in trunk. I'm not sure if it is available with 8.1.

--
steve