From: Link on
On Apr 7, 8:01 am, John Stafford <n...(a)droffats.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 06 Apr 2010 18:45:09 -0700, Now that is one happy monkey. wrote:
>

> >  You hear it all the time in movies or on TV, most often as a cliche,
> >  "(so-and-so) doesn't know the meaning of surrender. Another version
> >  goes, "failure" is not in (so-and-so's) vocabulary. But think for a
> >  minute, really think, what if the word "error" did not exist in the
> >  English or any language, how might a thinker with a bit of imagination
> >  and intellect, or perhaps ingenuity, seize those five little letters
> >  dreaded by end-users and use them to innovate or create anew in the
> >  realm between personage and machine?
>
> I am not sure I understand your idea of no-being of the word error, so
> forgive if I am off.
>
> There are computer programs that do not use 'error' to redirect the
> program when it does not perform to the goal. Consider a program written
> about by Danny Hillis in his book _The Pattern on the Stone_.  It was
> code that was given a goal of sorting an unsorted list. It was directed
> by example: a simple heuristic that said, in effect, "This list
> represents the goal."  And the program was to rewrite itself until it
> successfully created a sorted list. (I do not know if the objective was
> to create code that could sort _any_ list.)
>
> The outcome was very efficient code that even Danny Hillis could hardly
> understand.
>
> Concerning a human language and everyday human activities with no
> concept of Error (in fact and in practice) - well, very much of our
> human navigation through life is done without a conscious,
> language-oriented Error recognition. Instead there is an unconscious
> correction made. Sight is one of the senses that operates thus.

> You hear it all the time in movies or on TV, most often as a cliche,
> "(so-and-so) doesn't know the meaning of surrender. Another version
> goes, "failure" is not in (so-and-so's) vocabulary. But think for a
> minute, really think, what if the word "error" did not exist in the
> English or any language, how might a thinker with a bit of imagination
> and intellect, or perhaps ingenuity, seize those five little letters
> dreaded by end-users and use them to innovate or create anew in the
> realm between personage and machine?

I am not sure I understand your idea of no-being of the word error,
so
forgive if I am off.

***Not far but perhaps a little. What I mean is the idea of no
redirection. The idea of to a machine, and to the very nature of
computation is inherently constructive. (i.e. the computer does not
know error means failure, it, to the machine, I surmise must mean,
literally a non-meaningful representation toward another construction
which may or may not be applicable to the goal of a given program.

There are computer programs that do not use 'error' to redirect the
program when it does not perform to the goal.

***What happens when there is no redirection when the program does not
perform to the goal?

Consider a program written
about by Danny Hillis in his book _The Pattern on the Stone_.

***Thank you for this, sounds like a great read!

[...]

***what if error meant "start over, continue, try variation"?

meami.org