From: ICU on

Thanks for the reply.

Well I do have a virus program running and kept up to date and I do keep
WinXP uptodate and yes the procedures sound long and complex,
unfortunately a local or independant computer repair shop visit is not
just not in the cards for a number of reasons.
Thanks for the reply.

ICU

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
YW.

Obviously your AV app isn't up to snuff and it's totally disable now.

Microsoft PCSafety provides home users (only) with no-charge support to deal
with malware infections such as viruses, spyware (including unwanted
software), and adware.
https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?&prid=7552&st=1

From: Ken Blake, MVP on
On 15 Oct 2009 21:49:04 GMT, ICU <ICU(a)Nowhere.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the reply.
>
> Well I do have a virus program running

Then you are in serious trouble. It's far better to have an
*anti*-virus program running.

Or if you meant you had an anti-virus program running, please tell us
which one it is. They are far from being equally good, and the two
most well-known, Norton and McAfee, are the worst of them.

It sounds very much like you are infected.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
From: Jose on
On Oct 15, 5:49 pm, ICU <I...(a)Nowhere.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> Well I do have a virus program running and kept up to date and I do keep
> WinXP uptodate and yes the procedures sound long and complex,
> unfortunately a local or independant computer repair shop visit is not
> just not in the cards for a number of reasons.
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> ICU
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABear...(a)gmail.com> wrote innews:eKMQNbcTKHA.5052(a)TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl:
>

> > You are seeing the effects of a hijackware infection!
>
> > NB: If you had no anti-virus application installed or the subscription
> > had expired *when the machine first got infected* and/or your
> > subscription has since expired and/or the machine's not been kept
> > fully-patched at Windows Update, don't waste your time with any of the
> > below: Format & reinstall Windows.  A Repair Install will NOT help!
>
> > 1. See if you can download/run the MSRT manually:
> >http://www.microsoft.com/security/malwareremove/default.mspx
>
> > NB: Run the FULL scan, not the QUICK scan!  You may need to download
> > the MSRT on a non-infected machine, then transfer MRT.EXE to the
> > infected machine and rename it to SCAN.EXE before running it.
>
> > 2a. WinXP => Run the Windows Live Safety Center's 'Protection' scan
> > (only!) in Safe Mode with Networking, if need be:
> >http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/center/howsafe.htm
>
> > 2b. Vista or Win7=> Run this scan instead:
> >http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/center/whatsnew.htm
>
> > 3. Run a /thorough/ check for hijackware, including posting requested
> > logs in an appropriate forum, not here.
>
> > Checking for/Help with Hijackware:
> > •http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4075
>
> > •http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
> > •http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/tshoot.html
> > •http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/Malware_Defence.htm
> > •http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Removing_Malware
>
> > **Chances are you will need to seek expert assistance in
> >http://spywarehammer.com/simplemachinesforum/index.php?board=10.0,
> >http://www.spywarewarrior.com/viewforum.php?f=5,
> >http://www.dslreports.com/forum/cleanup,
> >http://www.bluetack.co.uk/forums/index.php,
> >http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30or other appropriate forums.**
>
> > If these procedures look too complex - and there is no shame in
> > admitting this isn't your cup of tea - take the machine to a local,
> > reputable and independent (i.e., not BigBoxStoreUSA) computer repair
> > shop.

Reduce the chances of malicious software by running some scans.

Download, install, update and do a full scan with these free malware
detection programs:

Malwarebytes (MBAM): http://malwarebytes.org/
SUPERAntiSpyware: (SAS): http://www.superantispyware.com/

These can be uninstalled later if desired.
From: ICU on
Thanks for the reply, will check out your suggestion.