From: ICU on
Jose <jose_ease(a)yahoo.com> wrote in

> On Oct 16, 1:47�pm, ICU <I...(a)Nowhere.com> wrote:
>> Jose <jose_e...(a)yahoo.com> wrote
>> innews:c92c7409-24bf-49c8-9e03-a5e066b8f
> 604(a)m38g2000yqd.googlegroups.com:

>> > 2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl:

>> > Reduce the chances of malicious software by running some scans.
>>
>> > Download, install, update and do a full scan with these free
>> > malware detection programs:
>>
>> > Malwarebytes (MBAM): �http://malwarebytes.org/
>> > SUPERAntiSpyware: (SAS): �http://www.superantispyware.com/
>>
>> > These can be uninstalled later if desired.
>>
>> Thanks for the reply and the suggestions.
>> I've downloaded both and run them, Malware found the files I already
>> thought were the culprits, removed them , but I found them back
>> again, so I tried a scan again, found them again and removed,
>> hopefully the are gone for good now but I somehow doubt it.
>>
>> ICU
>
> Are we supposed to guess what the culprit files are and what do you do
> between the time they are removed and the time they come back?
>
> If you remove the culprit files and visit a WWW site (or do something)
> that reinfects your machine, you should not go there, or expect to be
> infected when you do. I have heard there are some WWW sites that will
> infect your system with just a visit.

Nope no guessing just read the subject line for the culprit file.
No visiting Web sites to get reinfected, the file just reappears after a
reboot.
Thanks for the reply.

ICU

From: Jose on
On Oct 16, 3:30 pm, ICU <I...(a)Nowhere.com> wrote:
> Jose <jose_e...(a)yahoo.com> wrote innews:b17f1716-0272-41ca-a0b4-9c8c86d8b949(a)a32g2000yqm.googlegroups.com:
>

> > On Oct 16, 1:47 pm, ICU <I...(a)Nowhere.com> wrote:
> >> Jose <jose_e...(a)yahoo.com> wrote
> >> innews:c92c7409-24bf-49c8-9e03-a5e066b8f
> > 6...(a)m38g2000yqd.googlegroups.com:

> >> Thanks for the reply and the suggestions.
> >> I've downloaded both and run them, Malware found the files I already
> >> thought were the culprits, removed them , but I found them back
> >> again, so I tried a scan again, found them again and removed,
> >> hopefully the are gone for good now but I somehow doubt it.
>
> >> ICU
>
> > Are we supposed to guess what the culprit files are and what do you do
> > between the time they are removed and the time they come back?
>
> > If you remove the culprit files and visit a WWW site (or do something)
> > that reinfects your machine, you should not go there, or expect to be
> > infected when you do.  I have heard there are some WWW sites that will
> > infect your system with just a visit.
>
> Nope no guessing just read the subject line for the culprit file.
> No visiting Web sites to get reinfected, the file just reappears after a
> reboot.
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> ICU

I don't understand this "says something about" part:

It's just a flash on the screen that says something about HKLMU.exe
and that .DLL initialization failed.

What is the message exactly.

The file is located in Windows\System32\Driver, no other file in this
folder and I can not get any identidication on this file.

Are you saying the hklmu.exe is in the c:\windows\system32\drivers
folder? How did you discover that?

This file is also mentioned in the Prefetch foler as well.

Where/how is it "mentioned" in the prefetch folder? Are you saying
you have hklmu.exe in c\windows\prefetch or is it mentioned and what
does mentioned mean? There should not be anything with a .exe
extension in the prefetch folder - there might be some .pf files.

Did you search your system for hklmu.exe and list the results.

Look in the Event Log for helpful messages and post them back here:

Here is a method to post the specific information about individual
events.

To see the Event Viewer logs, click Start, Settings, Control Panel,
Administrative Tools, Event Viewer.

A shortcut to Event Viewer is to click Start, Run and in the box
enter:

%SystemRoot%\system32\eventvwr.msc /s

Click OK to launch the Event Viewer.

The most interesting logs are usually the Application and System.
Some logs may be almost or completely empty.
Not every event it a problem, some are informational messages that
things are working okay.

Each event is sorted by Date and Time. Errors will have red Xs,
Warnings will have yellow !s.
Information messages have white is. Not every Error or Warning event
means there is a serious issue.
Some are excusable at startup time when Windows is booting.

If you double click an event, it will open a Properties windows with
more information. On the right are
black up and down arrow buttons to scroll through the open events. The
third button that looks like
two pages on top of each other is used to copy the event details to
your Windows clipboard.

When you find an interesting event that occurred around the time of
your issue, click the third button
under the up and down arrows to copy the details and then you can
paste the details (right click, Paste
or CTRL-V) the detail text back here for analysis.

To get a fresh start on any Event Viewer log, you can shoose to clear
the log (backing up the log is offered),
then reproduce your issue, then look at just the events around the
time of your issue.
From: ICU on
Jose <jose_ease(a)yahoo.com> wrote in

A whole lot edited here.

> I don't understand this "says something about" part:
>
> It's just a flash on the screen that says something about HKLMU.exe
> and that .DLL initialization failed.
>
> What is the message exactly.

It says "The Application failed to initialize because Windows is shutting
down"
This happens each time I shut down except if I shutdown without using any
program, then it just shuts down with no flash message.

> The file is located in Windows\System32\Driver, no other file in this
> folder and I can not get any identidication on this file.
>
> Are you saying the hklmu.exe is in the c:\windows\system32\drivers
> folder? How did you discover that?

No I am saying Hklmu.exe is in the c:\windows\systems32\driver folder no
"S" , the folder that is the Drivers folder is well populated.

> This file is also mentioned in the Prefetch foler as well.
>
> Where/how is it "mentioned" in the prefetch folder? Are you saying
> you have hklmu.exe in c\windows\prefetch or is it mentioned and what
> does mentioned mean? There should not be anything with a .exe
> extension in the prefetch folder - there might be some .pf files.

I used the word "mentioned" to indicate the file is listed in the
Prefetch as a .pf file

> Did you search your system for hklmu.exe and list the results.

That's how I found the file, I gotn the file name from the flash when I
shutdown.
RThe rest of these suggestions I haven't followed up on yet , but will do
shortly.

Thanks for the reply.

ICU

From: Jose on
> Are you saying the hklmu.exe is in the c:\windows\system32\drivers
> folder? How did you discover that?

No I am saying Hklmu.exe is in the c:\windows\systems32\driver folder
no
"S" , the folder that is the Drivers folder is well populated.

Curious.

I have never seen

c:\windows\systems32\driver folder.

There should be:

c:\windows\system32\drivers

I do not think there should be a "systems32" anything and there should
be a "c:\windows\system32\drivers" folder with stuff in it, but no
"driver" folder.

You ran MBAM and SAS, as requested?

Yes - only .pf files should be in the prefetch folder.

Check/post the event log also for messages that are timestamped to
coincide with your last shutdown.

Please verify the spellings and paths with and be sure there are no
typos (it happens), somebody else please verify me, and then we'll see
if we can get you fixed up.
From: Ken Blake, MVP on

Please ensure that the quoted text you are responding to has a > at
the beginning of every line. Your message without the >s is almost
impossible to understand, since I can't tell what you said and what
the person you were responding to said.

On Sat, 17 Oct 2009 14:11:33 -0700 (PDT), Jose <jose_ease(a)yahoo.com>
wrote:

> > Are you saying the hklmu.exe is in the c:\windows\system32\drivers
> > folder? How did you discover that?
>

> No I am saying Hklmu.exe is in the c:\windows\systems32\driver folder
> no
> "S" , the folder that is the Drivers folder is well populated.
>
> Curious.
>
> I have never seen
>
> c:\windows\systems32\driver folder.
>
> There should be:
>
> c:\windows\system32\drivers
>
> I do not think there should be a "systems32" anything and there should
> be a "c:\windows\system32\drivers" folder with stuff in it, but no
> "driver" folder.
>
> You ran MBAM and SAS, as requested?
>
> Yes - only .pf files should be in the prefetch folder.
>
> Check/post the event log also for messages that are timestamped to
> coincide with your last shutdown.
>
> Please verify the spellings and paths with and be sure there are no
> typos (it happens), somebody else please verify me, and then we'll see
> if we can get you fixed up.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup