From: siljaline on
David H. Lipman wrote:
> Yes, there are competitive tools to HJT since Merijn Bellekom sold it to Trend Micro (BTW:
> Merijn is now a MBAM developer).

I am well aware of the fact that Merijn does some work for MBAM.

> It is good to discuss all aspects of the rogues not just information on a particular new
> one since there are so many. Maybe one post detailing several rogues is more suited than
> just one post per rogue. Fo example you gould gather the "latest" rogues and create a
> weekly post detailing them.

A weekly Rogues summary posting, that's an idea that I will take under consideration.

> The reason why SpywareWarrior stopped listing the rogues was it was far to time consuming
> to keep up with. Sure when individuals and companies were creating them it was easy but
> once these "kits" were announced for sale in hacker forums they have taken off.

The SWW Board is not a board that I necessarily agree with, to be polite.
Whatever the consensus decided there is not cast in stone for others to assume as Biblical.

> Now we are also seeing rogue av comparatives. That is new web sites cropping up with
> bogus data comparing rogue (fake) AV software with legitimate ones.
>
> http://m.zdnet.com/blog/security/the-rise-of-the-rogue-av-testers/6822
>
> "Rogue AV Testers are somehow similar in behavior. In their case, the business model is no
> longer based on a false sense of security but instead, on a false sense of insecurity."
>
> I mentioned the rogue kits for sale. This is a new paradigm in malware. Kits of source
> code for sale such that you can roll your own malware. Over the past couple of years I
> have seen this to be more prevalent. Take for example Tr1p0d who setup Codesoft.CC and
> was selling the Codesoft source code so you can buy the code and subsequently roll your
> own data stealer. The same goes for the CyberGate Remote Access Trojan (CyberGate RAT).
> [ CyberGate RAT, the new SubSeven ? ]
>
> If you see; %programfiles%\hackhound.txt the malware that created it probably was from
> source code that had been purchased in a kit.

Noted -

Silj

- Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

First  |  Prev  |