From: Hot-text on
1 About Usenet
1.1 What is Usenet?
Usenet is a distributed network which means that the submitted information
is always available via the fast internet connections from your local Usenet
Provider.
Usenet offers the ability to efficiently exchange information among all
other Usenet users around the globe.

Usenet, which is short for Unix User Network, is one of the oldest
communication networks, being developed in 1979 and was made available
before the internet and the World Wide Web were invented. Usenet isn't
governed by any authority and can be characterized by the absence of a
central server or administrator.
Usenet servers distribute all the information they receive among other
Usenet servers around the world, enabling all Usenet users to have access to
all information available on the global Usenet.

Usenet was designed to be able to discuss scientific insights and ideas
among universities and scientific institutions around the world on a broad
scope. Therefor Usenet was designed to distribute only text messages. In
1990 a method was introduced to be able to decode files (like documents or
images) to text, so they could be distributed on the global Usenet.

Every post submitted to Usenet has to be stored by all Usenet servers. This
results in a continuous flow of new Usenet articles.
As the Usenet servers storage capacity isn't unlimited, older articles have
to be removed in order to make room for newer articles.
The period of time that articles are available is called retention.
As different Usenet providers have different storage capacities, the
retention differs per Usenet provider.
The retention of Usenet services offered by Internet providers (ISPs) is
significant lower (on average 10-20 days) then the retention offered by
professional Usenet providers (hundreds of days).

Being one of the oldest networks, Usenet has survived many new innovations.
At present, Usenet's popularity is still growing, while more and more people
discover the advantages of using Usenet. As more people are becoming active
on Usenet, more information is offered to the global Usenet. The daily
newsfeed (which is the amount of data offered to Usenet on a daily basis) is
now well beyond 5 terabyte on average (winter 09/10).

Usenet is known by many names. Synonyms for Usenet are Newsgroups, News or
Newsserver.

http://www.news-service.com/faq.html#faq1.1

From: Mad as a Box of Frogs on
Hot-text <hot-text(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>1 About Usenet
>1.1 What is Usenet?
>Usenet is a distributed network which means that the submitted information
>is always available via the fast internet connections from your local Usenet
>Provider.
>Usenet offers the ability to efficiently exchange information among all
>other Usenet users around the globe.
>
>Usenet, which is short for Unix User Network, is one of the oldest
>communication networks, being developed in 1979 and was made available
>before the internet and the World Wide Web were invented. Usenet isn't
>governed by any authority and can be characterized by the absence of a
>central server or administrator.
>Usenet servers distribute all the information they receive among other
>Usenet servers around the world, enabling all Usenet users to have access to
>all information available on the global Usenet.
>
>Usenet was designed to be able to discuss scientific insights and ideas
>among universities and scientific institutions around the world on a broad
>scope. Therefor Usenet was designed to distribute only text messages. In
>1990 a method was introduced to be able to decode files (like documents or
>images) to text, so they could be distributed on the global Usenet.
>
>Every post submitted to Usenet has to be stored by all Usenet servers. This
>results in a continuous flow of new Usenet articles.
>As the Usenet servers storage capacity isn't unlimited, older articles have
>to be removed in order to make room for newer articles.
>The period of time that articles are available is called retention.
>As different Usenet providers have different storage capacities, the
>retention differs per Usenet provider.
>The retention of Usenet services offered by Internet providers (ISPs) is
>significant lower (on average 10-20 days) then the retention offered by
>professional Usenet providers (hundreds of days).
>
>Being one of the oldest networks, Usenet has survived many new innovations.
>At present, Usenet's popularity is still growing, while more and more people
>discover the advantages of using Usenet. As more people are becoming active
>on Usenet, more information is offered to the global Usenet. The daily
>newsfeed (which is the amount of data offered to Usenet on a daily basis) is
>now well beyond 5 terabyte on average (winter 09/10).
>
>Usenet is known by many names. Synonyms for Usenet are Newsgroups, News or
>Newsserver.

Unix User network huh? Very enlightening. I had no idea what this place
was called..

I was told it was the Cesspool.

--
"Ward, weren't you a little hard on The Beaver last night?" --June Cleaver

From: Tony on
Subject: Re: Slower DSL download speed with router
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2006 04:48:27 +0100 (CET)
From: chuckcar <chuckcar(a)nil.org>
Newsgroups: can.internet.highspeed,comp.security.firewalls

Leythos <void(a)nowhere.lan> wrote in

> In article <Xns9894E3CCF17A2chuckcar(a)194.177.96.26>, chuckcar(a)nil.org
> says...

>> Take the case with this fool: If I kill file him, he'll just switch
>> to another nym - he's already done exactly that - he really freaked
>> before he did though and that was kind of satisfying - You see I
>> didn't really kill file him. I just said I did and then read his
>> posts, completely ignoring what they said in mine. That's reason
>> number one. Reason number two, if you kill file them, they can say
>> anything they want about you, and you'll never know it, and that can
>> be very bad. I'm sure you can think of others, but you get the idea -
>> you post they can read anything you post, but you never read anything
>> they post. Doesn't make for good knowledge of the lay of the land.
>
> If you're talking about my changing my name, it's not happened in a
> LONG time, I've posted as Leythos for more than 5 years.

No, you're just another victim that's experienced the "Steve delusion"
problem. I've seen it happen on at least 6 other groups. Just in case
you don't know (which apparently you don't - pay more attention to the
"volume" posters - good and bad) Tony aka Steve aka Seedless Grape aka
Steveo ... Are one and the same person. Welcome to usenet, where the
loonies you cross the street to avoid can send you messages.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

Hot-text wrote:

> 1 About Usenet
> 1.1 What is Usenet?
> Usenet is a distributed network which means that the submitted information
> is always available via the fast internet connections from your local Usenet
> Provider.
> Usenet offers the ability to efficiently exchange information among all
> other Usenet users around the globe.
>
> Usenet, which is short for Unix User Network, is one of the oldest
> communication networks, being developed in 1979 and was made available
> before the internet and the World Wide Web were invented. Usenet isn't
> governed by any authority and can be characterized by the absence of a
> central server or administrator.
> Usenet servers distribute all the information they receive among other
> Usenet servers around the world, enabling all Usenet users to have access to
> all information available on the global Usenet.
>
> Usenet was designed to be able to discuss scientific insights and ideas
> among universities and scientific institutions around the world on a broad
> scope. Therefor Usenet was designed to distribute only text messages. In
> 1990 a method was introduced to be able to decode files (like documents or
> images) to text, so they could be distributed on the global Usenet.
>
> Every post submitted to Usenet has to be stored by all Usenet servers. This
> results in a continuous flow of new Usenet articles.
> As the Usenet servers storage capacity isn't unlimited, older articles have
> to be removed in order to make room for newer articles.
> The period of time that articles are available is called retention.
> As different Usenet providers have different storage capacities, the
> retention differs per Usenet provider.
> The retention of Usenet services offered by Internet providers (ISPs) is
> significant lower (on average 10-20 days) then the retention offered by
> professional Usenet providers (hundreds of days).
>
> Being one of the oldest networks, Usenet has survived many new innovations.
> At present, Usenet's popularity is still growing, while more and more people
> discover the advantages of using Usenet. As more people are becoming active
> on Usenet, more information is offered to the global Usenet. The daily
> newsfeed (which is the amount of data offered to Usenet on a daily basis) is
> now well beyond 5 terabyte on average (winter 09/10).
>
> Usenet is known by many names. Synonyms for Usenet are Newsgroups, News or
> Newsserver.
>
> http://www.news-service.com/faq.html#faq1.1

--
The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG

Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city

manners

Very few. I used to take calls from *rank* noobs but got fired the first day on
the job for potty mouth,

realm of understandability

From: Tony on
Subject: Re: DSL speed upgrades
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 23:14:35 -0330
From: "J. Conners" <jack.conners(a)tux.nil>
Newsgroups: can.internet.highspeed

chuckcar wrote:
> Senex <Senex(a)Senex.nex> wrote in
>

>>chuckcar stunned us with this revelation on 11/17/2006 :
>>

>>>Madonna <nospam(a)nospam.ca> wrote in news:455e532d$1_1(a)x-privat.org:
>>

> <snipped>
>
>>Nothing has been "incorrectly quoted". What you have provided is your
>>predictable folksey take on things which is invariably incorrect.
>>When you get caught out in your false assumptions, you always take
>>this agressive defensive posture. You really should learn to observe
>>and learn something. There is a lot of expertise in this News Group.
>>I've watched and learned a bunch.
>>
>>Give it up. In this NG I'm certain you are in *way* over your head.
>>The knowledge base that I've observed here will ignore you for the
>>troll you are.
>>

> I'm certainly *not* the one getting defensive here. That would be *you*.
> The *only* quote from me was misquoted/badly edited period. That is
> *fact*. The fact of the matter is that the word modem gets it's name
> from the two words modulator/demodulator which was my point which you
> seem to have completely missed for some inexplicable reason. The fact
> that you *didn't* know this *basic* fact means you know absolutely
> nothing on this subject and are not even competant to even have an
> opinion here, much less point fingers.

You don't know me, I have said nothing to be defensive about and you
have no notion regarding what I do or do not know. Hence, what you have
blurted above is horse hockey.

> What you also seem to fail to realize (if you aren't *yet* another
> persona of that Steve Troll) is that there is a kid abusing this group
> by posting his own twisted view of vengence under numerous identies such
> as Tony, Steve, and varations of that name along with others. Until this
> idiot is dealt with, *no* *one* in this group will get anywhere.

And that means absolutely nothing to me and has nothing to do with the
subject at hand.