From: Tunjang on
i had compile and build my program and got no error...when i try to execute
file.exe i find out that the run-time error F6501 occur...im using Window
Xp....im using Microsoft Fortran Powerstation 4.0..then i find out that
the requirement for the program is for window NT and 95...is it error
F6501 is because the fortran did not support Window Xp?..or is that any
other reason...?...need help...tq

p/s: any idea what type of fortran version that support Window Xp?

From: Terence on

Tunjang wrote:
> i had compile and build my program and got no error...when i try to execute
> file.exe i find out that the run-time error F6501 occur...im using Window
> Xp....im using Microsoft Fortran Powerstation 4.0..then i find out that
> the requirement for the program is for window NT and 95...is it error
> F6501 is because the fortran did not support Window Xp?..or is that any
> other reason...?...need help...tq
>
> p/s: any idea what type of fortran version that support Window Xp?

Normally a Fortran program compiled for a Windows environment will run
in all Windows operating systems.
However the earlier Microsoft Fortran compilers don't know about XP.
The 95 and 98 operating systems are DOS-based. The first NT systems
(diskette-distributed) are different from the later MS 2000 and XP
systems on CD-Roms.

If your program is simple and does not try to control serial or
parallel ports it should STILL compile and run as a DOS program if
compiled for that mode, on any Windows system including on NT and XP
systems. You could try compiling it that way as a test and see if you
still get run-time messages.

But if you are performing a SYSTEM or SPAWN call from a DOS-mode
program you must increase the stack size of the linked program by #4000
because WIndows security updates take some of the DOS stack. This
normally gives an Stack Overflow 2000 error message.

I sitll compile Fortran programs with the Microsoft V3.31 compiler
(better than the later MS Professional), and the resulting executables
run in all DOS and Windows environments as console-executed programs
(or ou just click on the name). So I suspect your problem is external
to the program.

If I use SYSTEM or SPAWN in a console (DOS-mode) program I increase the
stack size using Exemod.exe.

Other modern Fortran compilers which I have and use for Windows mode
operations are DVF6.6 and Intel 9.0.
Then you have Lahey F95 and Gfortran available which I have not tried.

From: Craig Powers on
Tunjang wrote:
> i had compile and build my program and got no error...when i try to execute
> file.exe i find out that the run-time error F6501 occur...im using Window
> Xp....im using Microsoft Fortran Powerstation 4.0..then i find out that
> the requirement for the program is for window NT and 95...is it error
> F6501 is because the fortran did not support Window Xp?..or is that any
> other reason...?...need help...tq

In general, even the tersest runtime error messages that I've seen give
a one- or two-word description of the type of error that was
encountered. Most of us are not familiar with the runtime errors from
the Microsoft FPS compiler -- can you tell us what descriptive text (if
any) is issued with the error?
From: dpb on

Tunjang wrote:
> i had compile and build my program and got no error...when i try to execute
> file.exe i find out that the run-time error F6501 occur...im using Window
> Xp....im using Microsoft Fortran Powerstation 4.0..

If you only get the error number and not the text that is associated
with it, then you either don't have the full install or are missing an
environment variable to the text of the error messages. At this point,
I can no longer recall enough of anything about FPS to even have a
ghost of a chance of telling you what the files were or what the
particular evnvironment setup would be, but if you have the original
distribution, it will include a batch file that will set the
environment from which you can see what is set and how, and the
distribution also should include the "readme" and user notes for
installation...

From: Paul van Delst on
dpb wrote:
> Tunjang wrote:
>> i had compile and build my program and got no error...when i try to execute
>> file.exe i find out that the run-time error F6501 occur...im using Window
>> Xp....im using Microsoft Fortran Powerstation 4.0..
>
> If you only get the error number and not the text that is associated
> with it, then you either don't have the full install or are missing an
> environment variable to the text of the error messages. At this point,
> I can no longer recall enough of anything about FPS to even have a
> ghost of a chance of telling you what the files were or what the
> particular evnvironment setup would be, but if you have the original
> distribution, it will include a batch file that will set the
> environment from which you can see what is set and how, and the
> distribution also should include the "readme" and user notes for
> installation...

Googling the words "run-time error F6501" yielded the following:

http://www.glue.umd.edu/~nsw/ench250/comp-err.htm

Uff da is the first thing that came to mind. :o)

It seems to be a comprehensive list. Clicking on the error code in question yields:

FORTRAN run-time error F6501
end of file encountered
The program tried to read more data than the file contains.

Of course, I'm assuming a generic "MS FORTRAN" compiler is the same as the OPs compiler.
Maybe it's not.

cheers,

paulv

--