From: Mark Hobley on
In comp.unix.programmer Mark Hobley <markhobley(a)hotpop.donottypethisbit.com> wrote:
> Presumably __dead is non portable?
>
> How could I translate this into C89?

I'm getting a really funny error off the compiler relating to that prototype:

getNAME.c:68: error: expected '=', ',', ';', 'asm' or '__attribute__' before
'void'

I tried dropping the __dead bit leaving the line as:

void usage(void);

I still get the same error though.

Mark.

--
Mark Hobley
Linux User: #370818 http://markhobley.yi.org/

From: Mark Hobley on
In comp.os.linux.development.apps Rainer Weikusat <rweikusat(a)mssgmbh.com> wrote:
> Not at all. It's a gcc extension in disguise [__attribute__
> ((noreturn))]

Right. That is just as messy as __dead. I think I will just delete the tag.

Mark.

From: William Ahern on
Stefan Ram <ram(a)zedat.fu-berlin.de> wrote:
> markhobley(a)hotpop.donottypethisbit.com (Mark Hobley) writes:
> >Right ok. What did you type in the search box, and which link did you follow
> >to obtain this?
>
> I looked at
>
> google.to/search?num=100&safe=off&q=%22%23define+__dead%22

Google Code Search works even better.

http://google.to/codesearch?q=__dead+lang%3Ac&hl=en&btnG=Search+Code

From: Jens Thoms Toerring on
In comp.os.linux.development.apps Mark Hobley <markhobley(a)hotpop.donottypethisbit.com> wrote:
> In comp.unix.programmer Mark Hobley <markhobley(a)hotpop.donottypethisbit.com> wrote:
> I'm getting a really funny error off the compiler relating to that prototype:

> getNAME.c:68: error: expected '=', ',', ';', 'asm' or '__attribute__' before
> 'void'

> I tried dropping the __dead bit leaving the line as:

> void usage(void);

Error messages like that are often the result of forgotten semicolons
after function or structure declarations etc. before the line the com-
piler is complaining about. E.g.

void a( char * p )
void b( int c )
void c( void );

will result in just your error message for the line with the declaration
of c().
Regards, Jens
--
\ Jens Thoms Toerring ___ jt(a)toerring.de