From: Corey on
I posted this question once already but I think I forgot to specify a
discussion group, so here it is again, sorry if it's a duplicate.

Anyway... some of the time but not always, when I add an unbound combo or
list box control to a form, Access adds a corresponding column to the data
sheet portion of the form. Usually my reason for the control is to look up
and go to entered values. The extra field holds the value that is selected
in the control, but doesn't seem to do anything else. If I hide the column
the control will no longer do the search. What is this extra column and what
can I do differently to get rid of it? Any help would really be appreciated,
thanks!
From: golfinray on
If I am understanding your question correctly, that extra column is your key
field. Searches on primary keys are always faster because they are always
indexed.
--
Milton Purdy
ACCESS

From: Adrian C on
On 20/05/2010 14:22, Corey wrote:
> I posted this question once already but I think I forgot to specify a
> discussion group, so here it is again, sorry if it's a duplicate.
>
> Anyway... some of the time but not always, when I add an unbound combo or
> list box control to a form, Access adds a corresponding column to the data
> sheet portion of the form. Usually my reason for the control is to look up
> and go to entered values. The extra field holds the value that is selected
> in the control, but doesn't seem to do anything else. If I hide the column
> the control will no longer do the search. What is this extra column and what
> can I do differently to get rid of it?

It's unbound, so data entered there (either typed direct or from the
dropdown) only exists in the form's data entry buffer. If you flip
between form view and datasheet view, you'll notice this control as an
extra column added alongside other fields (bound and unbound). However
as an unbound field, the value currently entered in it will be shown all
the way down the datasheet as long as there are table records to display.

However, hiding this field in datasheet view still allows VBA
(beforeupdate & afterupdate) events to work for me for the form control
in Access 2003. How is the search action triggered in your code?

--
Adrian C