From: RichT on

"Diane Poremsky [MVP]" <outlookmvp(a)msn.com> wrote in message
> How many users did Money have? Was it at the top of the market? (if it
> was, it was only because they gave it away free after rebate) Was it
> something that nearly *every* computer user needed? (no)
>
> 1. The cloud has its limitations.
> 2. Many, many users will still want an "offline" reader.

I definitely want offline capability - just make it item level sync over the
cloud!

From: Diane Poremsky [MVP] on
>> Oh, what you really mean is that you no longer get to use the Exchange
>> server at your old company where you no longer work. So get an IMAP
>> e-mail
>> account.
>
> Tried IMAP - clumsy, only syncs inbox and and doesn't sync sent items.

Huh? That's how POP3 works. IMAP syncs every folder on the server to
Outlook. It doesn't handle contacts and calendar though (some addins can
sync both to an IMAP account)

>> And what is Windows Live Mail (WLM) going to give you that you can't get
>> in
>> Outlook (which presumably you have a legit license)? Based on your wrong
>> premise that Outlook must work with Exchange to support sync to your
>> "devices", and since WLM doesn't work with Exchange, just how would you
>> lose anything in Outlook that you wouldn't already lose in WLM?
>
> It seems that WLM is MS preferred option for private users - Outlook seems
> to be optimised to work with Exchange for corporate use.

Outlook is optimized to work with exchange because the bulk of the seats are
sold to exchange orgs. WLM is preferred only because its smaller, simpler,
lighter, easier... you name it. Most home users don't need the power Outlook
offers. Outlook works just fine for home users - unfortunately, POP3 was
not optimized for cloud computing and that's what most ISPs offer.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

From: RichT on

> Huh? That's how POP3 works. IMAP syncs every folder on the server to
> Outlook. It doesn't handle contacts and calendar though (some addins can
> sync both to an IMAP account)

My ISP IMAP service only synched the inbox - useless.

Incidentally, how can Mac make their mac.com email addresses sync with
Outlook from their server when with a Microsoft live address we have to use
that clumsy Outlook connector?

From: Diane Poremsky [MVP] on
I have no idea who Mac does it - possible with imap for mail and ical for
calendar.

Your ISP either has IMAP configured wrong or you didn't set it to include
all online folders - you can tell outlook to sync only certain folders.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email: