From: Peter Hanke on
I wonder what the "market shares" is of all the filesystems out there in the real Linux world:
(ext3, ext4, Reiser, JFS, XFS, VxFS)
Ok there are no exact statistics. But make a guess.

What would you think?

Are there at least any rough guidelines depending on the distribution? E.g.

Ubuntu 98% ext4
or
RedHat 95% Reiser?

Peter

From: John Hasler on
Peter Hanke wrote:
> I wonder what the "market shares" is of all the filesystems out there
> in the real Linux world: (ext3, ext4, Reiser, JFS, XFS, VxFS)
> Ok there are no exact statistics. But make a guess.

Ok. 60%, 36%, 1%, 1%, 1%, 1%.

Here's another guess:

16%, 16%, 16%, 16%, 16%, 16%, 4% ("other")
--
John Hasler
jhasler(a)newsguy.com
From: Aragorn on
On Thursday 29 July 2010 12:37 in comp.os.linux.misc, somebody
identifying as Peter Hanke wrote...

> I wonder what the "market shares" is of all the filesystems out there
> in the real Linux world: (ext3, ext4, Reiser, JFS, XFS, VxFS)
> Ok there are no exact statistics. But make a guess.
>
> What would you think?
>
> Are there at least any rough guidelines depending on the distribution?
> E.g.
>
> Ubuntu 98% ext4
> or
> RedHat 95% Reiser?

I don't think it's distribution-specific, although with regard to your
mention of RedHat, I must say that the installer in RedHat, CentOS and
Fedora - I believe it's called Anaconda - refuses to let you install
the operating system on anything other than ext2 or ext3 (and possibly
ext4 now), even though their kernel supports reiserfs, xfs and jfs as
well.

That said, I think that ext3 is at this stage probably the most used
filesystem in GNU/Linux because most distributions default to it, and
most people - especially newbies - tend to stick to whatever defaults
the distribution offers, especially with regard to stuff that's
not "clickable" and "desktop-related".

On the other hand, the more professional and more seasoned sysadmins -
or at least: those who do not use RedHat/CentOS/Fedora - will often opt
for an industry-standard filesystem such as xfs or jfs, but just as
many server environments will be using ext3; ext4 is probably still too
new for wide-scale adoption.

reiserfs was the default in SuSE once and in one or two older Mandrake
distributions, but I believe that this is no longer the case now.
reiserfs is also somewhat deprecated because although its performance
is pretty good, it lacks a decent toolchain, is likely to screw up
after an unclean shutdown, and is no longer being actively developed
due to its chief developer currently staying at the grey bar hotel due
to having disposed of his estranged wife in a rather irreversible
manner. reiserfs has a successor, reiser4, which works quite
differently and offers very high throughput, but its development has
halted for the same reasons as mentioned above.

reiser4 is also not part of the upstream Linux kernel and although some
distributions might offer it via their own patched distro-specific
kernels, I believe that, given its premature halt in development, it
will most likely be missing out on the same set of tools that reiserfs
is lacking, and that reiser4 will probably still not be stable enough
to recommend it for any mission-critical environments.

As for what filesystem you should choose, this depends entirely upon
your needs. Some things fare better on xfs or jfs, others might fare
better on ext3 or ext4. There are various benchmarks available for
scrutiny on the internet, but all they can really show you is that
there is no such thing as a "one size fits all". In addition to that,
a single GNU/Linux system may be using all of the supported filesystems
together because of the POSIX-native property that many branches of the
filesystem hierarchy can be distributed across multiple partitions,
which may reside on the same or multiple hard disks, which may in turn
even be physically located in another computer on the network.

That all said, I personally have a preference for xfs. It has been the
default filesystem in SGI's IRIX since 1996, it is mature, stable,
extremely fast for high-throughput environments, and it comes with a
complete and powerful toolchain. Not all of the features of IRIX's
version of xfs have been ported to the Linux kernel yet - and quite
possibly, some might never be due to licensing restrictions - but these
missing features are things I personally have no need for.
(Disclaimer: xfs should only be used on a system that's hooked up to a
UPS (or on a laptop with a decent battery), but then again, this is a
rule that basically applies to every modern operating system,
regardless of what filesystem it uses.)

As for guessing about the statistics, your guess is as good as mine, and
statistics have always been very proficient liars. ;-) I don't even
understand why you would want to know the numbers. ;-)

--
*Aragorn*
(registered GNU/Linux user #223157)
From: Rahul on
The Natural Philosopher <tnp(a)invalid.invalid> wrote in news:i2s29u$5cp$2
@news.albasani.net:

>> I have no idea. I run ext3 on most of my partitions, but ext2 on /boot
>> and my database stuff (that does its own logging). Since I run only Red
>> Hat, I normally use whatever they supply. Since 2000, I believe, they
>> supply ext3 by default (others are available). Before that, maybe it was
>> ext2 -- I do not remember. But whatever they supply, I used.
>>
>> But that is only one data point. When they come up with Red Hat
>> Enterprise Linux 6, I suppose the default will be ext4.
>>
> Similar here.

I'm curious:

Why do you still your ext2 for logging and databases? Is there a specific
performance or other reason?

--
Rahul
From: Rahul on
peter_ha(a)andres.net (Peter Hanke) wrote in

> I wonder what the "market shares" is of all the filesystems out there
> in the real Linux world: (ext3, ext4, Reiser, JFS, XFS, VxFS)
> Ok there are no exact statistics. But make a guess.

I'm using ext3 throughout. Thought about shifting to ext4 a while ago but
was scared by some reports of bugs relating to caching the journal or some
such. Forgot exactly but there was a detailed post by Theodore Tso on his
blog.

But then again, I think I read about google deciding to switch to ext4 so I
guess it must be pretty stable now.

--
Rahul