From: Jean-David Beyer on
Peter Hanke wrote:
> I wonder what the "market shares" is of all the filesystems out there in the real Linux world:
> (ext3, ext4, Reiser, JFS, XFS, VxFS)
> Ok there are no exact statistics. But make a guess.
>
> What would you think?
>
> Are there at least any rough guidelines depending on the distribution? E.g.
>
> Ubuntu 98% ext4
> or
> RedHat 95% Reiser?
>
> Peter

I have no idea. I run ext3 on most of my partitions, but ext2 on /boot
and my database stuff (that does its own logging). Since I run only Red
Hat, I normally use whatever they supply. Since 2000, I believe, they
supply ext3 by default (others are available). Before that, maybe it was
ext2 -- I do not remember. But whatever they supply, I used.

But that is only one data point. When they come up with Red Hat
Enterprise Linux 6, I suppose the default will be ext4.

^^-^^ 06:50:02 up 4 days, 9:42, 4 users, load average: 4.51, 4.64, 4.71
From: mjt on
On 29 Jul 2010 10:37:01 GMT
peter_ha(a)andres.net (Peter Hanke) wrote:

> I wonder what the "market shares" is of all the filesystems out there
> in the real Linux world: (ext3, ext4, Reiser, JFS, XFS, VxFS)
> Ok there are no exact statistics. But make a guess.

Why?

--
Who made the world I cannot tell;
'Tis made, and here am I in hell.

From: unruh on
On 2010-07-29, Peter Hanke <peter_ha(a)andres.net> wrote:
> I wonder what the "market shares" is of all the filesystems out there in the real Linux world:
> (ext3, ext4, Reiser, JFS, XFS, VxFS)
> Ok there are no exact statistics. But make a guess.

Why do you care? figure our which is best for you and use it.

From: J G Miller on
On Thursday, July 29th, 2010 at 10:37:01h +0000, Peter Hanke wrote:

> What would you think?

I think it does not matter.

Furthermore the market share of the reiser file system dropped dramatically
when openSUSE dropped reiserfs as a standard option for installation.

Usage will have declined even further when the commercial company offering
support for reiserfs, Namesys, was liquidated.

> Are there at least any rough guidelines depending on the distribution?

Have you tried doing a web search?
From: The Natural Philosopher on
Jean-David Beyer wrote:
> Peter Hanke wrote:
>> I wonder what the "market shares" is of all the filesystems out there in the real Linux world:
>> (ext3, ext4, Reiser, JFS, XFS, VxFS)
>> Ok there are no exact statistics. But make a guess.
>>
>> What would you think?
>>
>> Are there at least any rough guidelines depending on the distribution? E.g.
>>
>> Ubuntu 98% ext4
>> or
>> RedHat 95% Reiser?
>>
>> Peter
>>
> I have no idea. I run ext3 on most of my partitions, but ext2 on /boot
> and my database stuff (that does its own logging). Since I run only Red
> Hat, I normally use whatever they supply. Since 2000, I believe, they
> supply ext3 by default (others are available). Before that, maybe it was
> ext2 -- I do not remember. But whatever they supply, I used.
>
> But that is only one data point. When they come up with Red Hat
> Enterprise Linux 6, I suppose the default will be ext4.

Similar here.

I use whatever Debian makes default. IIRC EXT3. Frigging with file
systems is the least of my concerns. I have other more urgent
performance issues to address. ;-)