From: Michael Black on
On Thu, 29 Jul 2010, J G Miller wrote:

> On Thursday, July 29th, 2010 at 10:37:01h +0000, Peter Hanke wrote:
>>
>> What would you think?
>
> I think it does not matter.
>
> Furthermore the market share of the reiser file system dropped dramatically
> when openSUSE dropped reiserfs as a standard option for installation.

I thought when the Reiser, or whoever, went to prison for killing his
wife, "market share" dropped off. Uncertainty that it would be going
anywhere with him in prison.

Michael

From: The Natural Philosopher on
Michael Black wrote:

> I thought when the Reiser, or whoever, went to prison for killing his
> wife, "market share" dropped off. Uncertainty that it would be going
> anywhere with him in prison.

I was more worried over rumours that he would kill my hard disk frankly.

rumours of brownouts and irrecoverable file system errors..
From: J G Miller on
On Friday, July 30th, 2010 at 01:36:49h +0200, Aragorn wrote:

> reiser4, which works quite differently and offers very high throughput,
> but its development has halted for the same reasons as mentioned above.

But the development of reiserfs4 has *not* halted.

<http://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/edward/reiser4/reiser4-for-2.6/>

reiser4-for-2.6.34.patch.bz2 26-May-2010 22:29 440K
reiser4-for-2.6.34.patch.bz2.sign 26-May-2010 22:29 248
reiser4-for-2.6.34.patch.gz 26-May-2010 22:29 595K
reiser4-for-2.6.34.patch.gz.sign 26-May-2010 22:29 248
reiser4-for-2.6.34.patch.sign 26-May-2010 22:29 248
From: Jean-David Beyer on
Rahul wrote:
> The Natural Philosopher <tnp(a)invalid.invalid> wrote in news:i2s29u$5cp$2
> @news.albasani.net:
>
>>> I have no idea. I run ext3 on most of my partitions, but ext2 on /boot
>>> and my database stuff (that does its own logging). Since I run only Red
>>> Hat, I normally use whatever they supply. Since 2000, I believe, they
>>> supply ext3 by default (others are available). Before that, maybe it was
>>> ext2 -- I do not remember. But whatever they supply, I used.
>>>
>>> But that is only one data point. When they come up with Red Hat
>>> Enterprise Linux 6, I suppose the default will be ext4.
>>>
>> Similar here.
>>

> I'm curious:
>
> Why do you still your ext2 for logging and databases? Is there a specific
> performance or other reason?

The database performance is faster using exp2 than exp3. I assume the
difference is the cost of doing the journaling. I forget the exact
difference, probably a few percent, which is not much, but present.
Initial population of the database (not fully loading it) takes several
hours and the difference in time consumed is a measurable number of
minutes. I have not retested this in a long time (no reason to).

My /boot partition is ext2 also, for historical reasons. I do not
believe it is necessary anymore.

^^-^^ 11:00:01 up 5 days, 13:52, 3 users, load average: 4.65, 4.80, 4.84
From: notbob on
On 2010-07-29, The Natural Philosopher <tnp(a)invalid.invalid> wrote:

> I was more worried over rumours that he would kill my hard disk frankly.

LOL....

I had one die, but couldn't pin it on him. ;)

> rumours of brownouts and irrecoverable file system errors..

More than rumours. I used ReiserFS for a few years. FS errors became
a problem. I went back to ext3-4. No problems. Conclusive enough
for me.

nb