From: notbob on
On 2010-07-30, Rahul <nospam(a)nospam.invalid> wrote:

> I'm using ext3 throughout. Thought about shifting to ext4 a while ago but
> was scared by some reports of bugs relating to caching the journal or some
> such. Forgot exactly but there was a detailed post by Theodore Tso on his
> blog.
>
> But then again, I think I read about google deciding to switch to ext4 so I
> guess it must be pretty stable now.

It's the default FS on Slackware, a distro renown for its stability.
I've been using it since slack upgraded to ext4 and have had zero
problems.

nb
From: Jean-David Beyer on
Darren Salt wrote:
> I demand that Jean-David Beyer may or may not have written...
>
>> Rahul wrote:
> [snip]
>>> I'm curious:
>>> Why do you still your ext2 for logging and databases? Is there a specific
>>> performance or other reason?
>
>> The database performance is faster using ext2 than ext3. I assume the
>> difference is the cost of doing the journaling.
>
> I don't think that it's really worth switching to ext3 but then switching off
> the journalling.

I doubt that makes much difference.

> Switching to ext4 instead, though, may prove to be
> worthwhile.

It is certainly likely to be. But i will not try it until Red Hat comes
out with a distro using it by default. I believe that will be RHEL 6. (I
am currently running RHEL 5.) But I may skip RHEL 6 on the machine where
the database resides. I expect to try out CentOS 6 on my older machine,
but its hard drives may be too small to test a database on, and its
processors are too slow.

>> I forget the exact difference, probably a few percent, which is not much,
>> but present. Initial population of the database (not fully loading it)
>> takes several hours and the difference in time consumed is a measurable
>> number of minutes. I have not retested this in a long time (no reason to).
>
> It may be worth re-testing now. ;-)

Why? Have they improved ext3 to remove the cost of journaling?

>> My /boot partition is ext2 also, for historical reasons. I do not believe
>> it is necessary anymore.
>
> My desktop box has ext3 and ext4, with anything new or trivially
> reformattable (i.e. /boot) using ext4; I plan to (eventually) move everything
> to ext4.
>
> My laptop and netbook are both using ext4.

^^-^^ 21:15:01 up 6 days, 7 min, 4 users, load average: 4.50, 4.61, 4.72