From: JT on
On 02/05/10 11:06, houghi wrote:
> From time to time I get the error that something is already using my
> sound device. Most of the time this is because I opend a game and then
> started the music. However from time to time I have no idea what is
> using it.
>
> I found `lsof|grep snd` which shows the correct information when e.g.
> Amarok or npviewer. However it does not work when I run the gam (Lux)
> So is there any other way to figure out what occupies the soundcard?
>
> houghi

Most likely you tried already ;-) : 'fuser /dev/<yoursounddevicehere>' ?

But in case you didn't, let us know. So we can look further?

Hope this helps

--
Kind regards, JT

From: JT on
On 02/05/10 12:53, JT wrote:
> On 02/05/10 11:06, houghi wrote:
>
>> From time to time I get the error that something is already using my
>> sound device. Most of the time this is because I opend a game and then
>> started the music. However from time to time I have no idea what is
>> using it.
>>
>> I found `lsof|grep snd` which shows the correct information when e.g.
>> Amarok or npviewer. However it does not work when I run the gam (Lux)
>> So is there any other way to figure out what occupies the soundcard?
>>
>> houghi
>>

> Most likely you tried already ;-) : 'fuser /dev/<yoursounddevicehere>' ?
>
> But in case you didn't, let us know. So we can look further?
>
> Hope this helps

In my installation '/dev/snd' is a directory containing sound-device
entries by the way. So grepping lsof output will only work if full
pathnames are shown, which might not always be the case (maybe?).

But my command, therefore, should read: fuser /dev/snd/*

--
Kind regards, JT

From: J G Miller on
Op Zondag, 2 mei, 2010 11:06:02 +0200, Houghi schreef:

> From time to time I get the error that something is already using my
> sound device.

Which is why one should be using PulseAudio server and configuring all
of the applications to use that as their sound output.

Of course PulseAudio setup can be a little awkward, the server can
crash from time to time, and not all applications can be coaxed into
using that interface.

But it is the way forward to solving the problem of multiple applications
being able to use the sound device.

<http://pulseaudio.ORG/wiki/PerfectSetup>
From: John Bowling on
J G Miller wrote:

> Op Zondag, 2 mei, 2010 11:06:02 +0200, Houghi schreef:
>
>> From time to time I get the error that something is already using my
>> sound device.
>
> Which is why one should be using PulseAudio server and configuring all
> of the applications to use that as their sound output.
>
> Of course PulseAudio setup can be a little awkward, the server can
> crash from time to time, and not all applications can be coaxed into
> using that interface.
>
> But it is the way forward to solving the problem of multiple applications
> being able to use the sound device.
>
> <http://pulseaudio.ORG/wiki/PerfectSetup>

I am not using pulseaudio, or Amarok having had past and/or current problems
with them. And right at this moment I am playing "Moving out Anthonys
Song.ogg" (Billy Joel) with Fluendo Media Center and "Man For All
Seasons.mp3" (Al Stewart) with SMPlayer.

Playing two different ones both with SMPlayer gives me the error on the
second one, but if I click on OK, I get audio from both of them. With a
control panel for only the most recently started.

Yes, listening to two different songs is strange, but as a test it gives me
no errors. And a third also works!

11.2 kde4.

John
From: JT on
On 02/05/10 14:33, houghi wrote:
> JT wrote:
>
>> Most likely you tried already ;-) : 'fuser /dev/<yoursounddevicehere>' ?
>>
>> But in case you didn't, let us know. So we can look further?
>>
> As you see below, I am listening to some music. I also am hearing it.
> <lala lalala ...> See? ;-)

Maybe try to use a reverse approach. You are listening to music, so most
probably you know what program is generating this music ;-). Then you
could try to browse the output of 'lsof -p <pid-of-your-player>' to find
a clue on the way this player approaches your audio system.
> However I see this when I cd to /dev/snd/
> houghi(a)penne : fuser *
> /dev/snd/controlC0: 4174

I might've known you tried fuser already ;-)
> This is the xfce mixer. So this is not something that makes the sound,

As said: I'm curious what _does_ make the sound ;-)
> it regulates the loudness.
>
> Now I stop the music and start Amarok:
> houghi(a)penne : fuser *
> /dev/snd/controlC0: 4174 17450
> /dev/snd/pcmC0D0p: 17450m
> /dev/snd/timer: 17450
>
> houghi(a)penne : ps aux|grep 17450
> houghi 17450 10.1 2.0 1085736 163940 ? SLl 14:15 0:04 amarok
> <snip the rest>
>
> So I do not have the correct information all the time. The worst is when
> I have http://sillysoft.net/lux/ running and then want to start gmpc
> (Actually start mpd)
>
> (Oh and for those who speak Dutch and have mpg123 installed, try
> `mpg123 -@ "http://yp.shoutcast.com/sbin/tunein-station.pls?id=355006"`
> Or just use mplayer. Geweldige muziek. LOL.)

houghi

--
Kind regards, JT