From: John on
Exchange 2003 SP2 running on Windows 2003 R2 SP2

I got the following NDR when I sent a message to JDoe at recipientdomain.com
(not the real address):

The following recipient(s) cannot be reached:
'JDoe(a)recipientdomain.com' on 5/27/2010 5:34 PM
There was a SMTP communication problem with the recipient's
email server. Please contact your system administrator.
<my-exchange-internal-name.mydomainname.com #5.5.0 smtp;554
Denied (Mode: normal)>

I was able to send JDoe an email a few days ago but now it bounces back to
me with the above message. I've checked my Exchange server (external) IP
address at mxtoolbox.com. All of them show OK (3 of the results show
TIMEOUT).

Could this issue be related to the fact that my PTR record is
"mail.mydomainname.com" but my SMTP identifies itself as
"my-exchange-internal-name.mydomainname.com" in ehlo command? If that is
true, how can I correct this?

From: Rich Matheisen [MVP] on
On Fri, 28 May 2010 10:05:29 -0700, "John" <a> wrote:

>Exchange 2003 SP2 running on Windows 2003 R2 SP2
>
>I got the following NDR when I sent a message to JDoe at recipientdomain.com
>(not the real address):
>
>The following recipient(s) cannot be reached:
> 'JDoe(a)recipientdomain.com' on 5/27/2010 5:34 PM
> There was a SMTP communication problem with the recipient's
>email server. Please contact your system administrator.
> <my-exchange-internal-name.mydomainname.com #5.5.0 smtp;554
>Denied (Mode: normal)>
>
>I was able to send JDoe an email a few days ago but now it bounces back to
>me with the above message. I've checked my Exchange server (external) IP
>address at mxtoolbox.com. All of them show OK (3 of the results show
>TIMEOUT).
>
>Could this issue be related to the fact that my PTR record is
>"mail.mydomainname.com" but my SMTP identifies itself as
>"my-exchange-internal-name.mydomainname.com" in ehlo command? If that is
>true, how can I correct this?

Only the admin at the receiving MTA knows why they send a 554 status.
There's no meaningful information in the text part of the status.

Could it be that your server is incorrectly identifying itself? Sure.
Fix it and see it it makes the problem go away. If it doesn't, find
someone at the other domain and call them, or use a hotmail, yahoo,
aol, etc. account and e-mail them.
---
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
From: M on
Hello:

First, contact someone at the recipient domain and see if they made any
recent changes. They might have installed a new anti-spam system or
had some network/server issues.

You should check the RECIPIENT'S domain with MXToolbox since the
NDR is stating that there was a communications problem between your servers
and the
recipient's.

Can you telnet to port 25 of the IP addresses of the recipient's MX records?
Maybe there's a
network issue between you and the recipient. MXToolbox does the tests from
their servers
(their meaning MXToolbox) so they might not show any issues.

If everything checks out, what you suggested as a cause is a possibility (I
don't think PTR is the right term,
but I know what you mean). I had what could be the same or similar issue,
but the NDR was different (see below). My issue was fixed when I changed the
FQDN of my Exchange SMTP Virtual Server to match the external host name.

There's some debate about what I did, but once I made the change, it
corrected my issue. This might not be related to your issue, but sometimes
NDRs are not very clear on what exactly the issue is, so you'd need to try a
few things.

bob(a)abc.com on 3/9/2009 2:24 PM
assistance, contact your system administrator.
<ex01.mydomain.com #5.7.1 smtp;554 5.7.1 <ex01.mydomain.com>:
Helo command rejected: Host not found>

Here are some notes that I made when I fixed my issue:
-----------------
Go to the SMTP VS properties --> Delivery tab --> Advanced button. The FQDN
is what shows up in the message headers. It appears that some recipient
systems will reject messages if the FQDN of the sending SMTP server is not a
valid server for the sending domain.

This doesn't make a lot of sense as to why the recipient system would bother
making sure that the sending server's hostname matches a reverse DNS lookup.
As long as the IP address of the sending system matches what's in the MX or
SPF records, that should overrule the hostname discrepancy. A hostname is
obviously much easier to spoof than an IP address. But apparently some
anti-spam systems check for this and won't accept mail if there's a
discrepancy between the sending hostname and the reverse DNS lookup of its
IP address.

Under "Myth 3b: Modifying The FQDN of the SMTP Virtual Server" on
http://msexchangeteam.com/archive/2005/02/25/380481.aspx, it advises against
changing the FQDN of the default SMTP VS. If you do go ahead and change the
FQDN, the SMTPSVC SPN must be updated for the server's AD object to reflect
the change per
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa996905%28EXCHG.80%29.aspx. Note
that the change can be made using ADSIEdit to edit the servicePrincipalName
attribute (I've personally done this).

The reply to this posting states that best practice is to the leave the FQDN
as is. (Doing that would not resolve the NDR issue then, and I don't see why
it should not be changed if the field is changeable. If best practice is to
leave it alone, then why does MS even make the field changeable?):
http://forums.msexchange.org/m_1800493025/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm#1800493025
-----------------

If you don't want to make any changes, then ask the recipient domain's sys
admin to whitelist your mail servers and see if that corrects the issue.

--
Regards,
MCTS, MCSA

From: John on

"Rich Matheisen [MVP]" <richnews(a)rmcons.com.NOSPAM.COM> wrote in message

> Only the admin at the receiving MTA knows why they send a 554 status.
> There's no meaningful information in the text part of the status.

Does the following SMTP log from my server help?

220+ I REMOVED THIS
PART;+Thu,+27+May+2010+18:34:25+-0600+(MDT);+NO+UCE,+INBOUND 129 0 62
EHLO my-exchange-internal-name.mydomainname.com 4 0 62
250-THEIRSERVER.THEIRDOMAIN.COM 26 0 125
MAIL FROM:<Me(a)mydomainname.com> 4 0 125
250+Sender+Ok 13 0 187
RCPT TO:<JDoe(a)recipientdomain.com> 4 0 187
250+JDoe(a)recipientdomain.com+ok+(RCPTMode:+normal/deferred) 49 0 531
DATA - 4 0 531
354+Start+mail+input;+end+with+<CRLF>.<CRLF> 44 0 593
554+Denied+(Mode:+normal) 25 0 1703
QUIT - 4 0 1734

> Could it be that your server is incorrectly identifying itself? Sure.
> Fix it and see it it makes the problem go away. If it doesn't, find
> someone at the other domain and call them, or use a hotmail, yahoo,
> aol, etc. account and e-mail them.

Is this the correct location?
ESM - Administrative Group - MyAdminGroup - Servers -
my-exchange-internal-name - Protocols - SMTP - Default SMTP Virtual Server -
(right click) Properties - Delivery (tab) - Advanced (button) -
Fully-qualified domain name:

Currently showing: my-exchange-internal-name.mydomainname.com
Is this the correct field to change so that my Exchange identifies itself as
mail. blah blah (it matches the PTR record)?

Thank you very much for your quick reply.

From: John on
Thank you for your explanation. Yes I can telnet from my mail server to
their mail server IP address and issue all EHLO, MAIL FROM, RCPT TO, DATA
commands without any problem. I just did a telnet test. It went through just
fine with the last 2 messages shown below:

250 Backend Replied [4h3f0c4.0.235641.00-105.306933.pc062.theirdomain.com]:
Ok (Mode: normal)
221 pc062.theirdomain.com Service closing transmission channel [235641.00]

Here's what I found more:
Since I posted my question, I've sent them multiple messages with Outlook
2007, only 1 got through. The rest bounces back to me.

At this moment, I can only troubleshoot my own server. The next step is to
contact their mail admin before making any changes to my mail server. I'm
crossing my fingers that they want to help troubleshoot the problem instead
of dismissing it as our server's fault.