From: Walter R. on
I am still running a DeskJet 900. By then they switched to USB. The
cartridges were and still are the HP 45. It contains 42 ml of ink, as
opposed to modern cartridges which have only 5 ml or 15 ml for the extra
large cartridge. The page count is about 1000 pages per cartridge. They
don't make them like that any more!

--
Walter
www.rationality.net

From: Al on
On Dec 3, 5:42 pm, "Walter R." <w...(a)example.com> wrote:
> I am still running a DeskJet 900. By then they switched to USB. The
> cartridges were and still are the HP 45. It contains 42 ml of ink, as
> opposed to modern cartridges which have only 5 ml or 15 ml for the extra
> large cartridge. The page count is about 1000 pages per cartridge. They
> don't make them like that any more!
>
> --
> Walterwww.rationality.net
> -
> "William R. Walsh" <newsgrou...(a)idontwantjunqueemail.walshcomptech.com>
> wrote in messagenews:ggDRm.159651$la3.96183(a)attbi_s22...
>
> > Hello all...
>
> > Yes, you read that right. Yesterday I was driving down the road when I saw
> > DeskJet box out by the trash--and it clearly was not new. A quick look
> > revealed the DeskJet to be in said box, so I grabbed it. The box itself
> > claims the printer to be a DeskJet 500C while the label on the printer
> > says
> > it is a 500K.
>
> > It does have the ability to accept a color cartridge and responds
> > perfectly
> > to the DeskJet 500/500C drivers. It accepts both serial and parallel I/O,
> > as
> > well as up to two font cartriges like a regular DJ500C would. HP
> > acknowledges that the 500K model exists, but says nothing more about it..
> > So
> > I'm curious as to what the "K" means if anyone knows.
>
> > Interestingly, whoever threw it out thought enough of it to include
> > *every*
> > last little piece, packaged properly in the box. The printer, books,
> > software, cartridge storage box, little brush for cartridge contacts,
> > power
> > supply and a (homemade looking and electrically broken) printer cable were
> > all there and stored in the right compartments. (The box itself has an
> > repacking/unpacking legend on the flap.)
>
> > After finding a new parallel cable, it works fine and doesn't have any
> > problem picking up paper. I'd guess it wasn't used much. Makes me wonder
> > if
> > it got tossed because the cable didn't work?
>
> > I also found it noteworthy that *everyone* selling the ink cartridges is
> > trying to get around $40 (USD) each for the black and color cartridges.
> > Fortunately, I had a recycled Staples black ink cartridge that seems to
> > work
> > fine. After all of these years and the vast improvement in capabilities,
> > one
> > would think that HP would practically give these older cartridges away.
>
> > William

I have three 900 series printers and a stack of used and new carts.
The black especially is so easy to fill and never gives a problem. I
could never get 1000 pages on a fill though. Even HP only rates them
at 385 I believe, not over 500 anyway. It all depends. I admit to
using bold print very often. I would not pay $40 for any ink cart
unless it came with a quart of ink.
From: rjn on
"William R. Walsh"
<newsgrou...(a)idontwantjunqueemail.walshcomptech.com> wrote:

> The box itself claims the printer to be a DeskJet 500C while
> the label on the printer says it is a 500K.

What's the SKU on the back or bottom of the printer?

If C2605A, then it is a DeskJet 500K, a Korean variant
supporting both PCL5 and KS/KSSM PDLs.

There were other "500" variants, some which speak no PCL at all.

Given that superior IJ printers are today given away in boxes
of breakfast cereal, it is likely not worth spending the money
on a cartridge to discover that the ink wick is full, the rollers
dried out, it pick-fails on every page, and Windows 7 assigns
an incorrect driver :).

The collateral might have some value on eBay.
Say that the listing includes a "free" printer,
in uncertain working condition.

--
Regards, Bob Niland mailto:name(a)ispname.tld
From: who where on
On Fri, 4 Dec 2009 15:49:13 -0800 (PST), rjn <email4rjn(a)yahoo.com>
wrote:

(snip)

>Given that superior IJ printers are today given away in boxes
>of breakfast cereal, it is likely not worth spending the money
>on a cartridge to discover that the ink wick is full, the rollers
>dried out, it pick-fails on every page, and Windows 7 assigns
>an incorrect driver :).

Heh ;-) We have an olde HP690C and even XP insists on assigning a
wrong driver. What hope with Win7/HP500 series ....
From: TJ on
who where wrote:
> On Fri, 4 Dec 2009 15:49:13 -0800 (PST), rjn <email4rjn(a)yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
> (snip)
>
>> Given that superior IJ printers are today given away in boxes
>> of breakfast cereal, it is likely not worth spending the money
>> on a cartridge to discover that the ink wick is full, the rollers
>> dried out, it pick-fails on every page, and Windows 7 assigns
>> an incorrect driver :).
>
> Heh ;-) We have an olde HP690C and even XP insists on assigning a
> wrong driver. What hope with Win7/HP500 series ....

Well, you could always try Linux. Continuing support for older yet still
functioning hardware is one of its strengths. Everyone's needs are
different, and if experienced hardware still fills a person's needs,
there's no good reason to dump it for a shiny, new bauble.

TJ
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: Epson 3000?
Next: Using fan-fold tractor feed paper?