From: ANTant on
Are there free programs like SpinRite that does well to do DEEP disk
checking/testings on external hard disk drives like Maxtor's USB (160
GB)? On two computers at work, I had it had it showed delay write
errors. Then, Windows lose connections and I have to repower off and on
to access the HDD again. I also tried different power and USB cables
since many people use the same HDD. Also, it is not heat beause
sometimes I get this problem after a few minutes after powering on from
room temperature (not warm either).

Chkdsk /f /r did not report anything. I don't think it does testing
deep. Are there any tools that will do? I am trying HD Tune v2.52, but I
don't think that's enough. I need something like SpinRite, but it done
via DOS and doesn't do USB connections. :(

Thank you in advance. :)
--
[Laser pulsing] "Bah. It's as easy as crushing an ant! You know, the..." [grunting] "Wh-wh-whoa! Hey, take my wallet and leave me alone!" --Mr. Burns from The Simpsons (Fraudcast News; FABF16/FABF18 episode)
/\___/\
( )
From: Rod Speed on
ANTant(a)zimage.com wrote:

> Are there free programs like SpinRite that does well to do DEEP disk
> checking/testings on external hard disk drives like Maxtor's USB (160 GB)?

None that do what SpinRite claims to do.

> On two computers at work, I had it had it showed delay write errors.

Thats usually a problem with the bridge in the box, lousy design.

> Then, Windows lose connections and I have to repower off
> and on to access the HDD again. I also tried different power
> and USB cables since many people use the same HDD.

You could try a different USB port, or a USB PCI card in the PC.

> Also, it is not heat beause sometimes I get this problem after a few
> minutes after powering on from room temperature (not warm either).

> Chkdsk /f /r did not report anything. I don't think it does testing deep.

It only 'tests' file systems, not hard drives.

> Are there any tools that will do? I am trying HD Tune v2.52,
> but I don't think that's enough. I need something like SpinRite,
> but it done via DOS and doesn't do USB connections. :(

If all you want to do is exercise the drive thats USB connnected, you could
try Bart's disktool. Not sure if it works with USB connected drives tho.

From: Arno Wagner on
Previously ANTant(a)zimage.com wrote:
> Are there free programs like SpinRite that does well to do DEEP disk
> checking/testings on external hard disk drives like Maxtor's USB (160
> GB)?

SpinRite is outdated enough, that it really just does a conventional
surface scan these days. ONly the disk itself can do more via SMART.

> On two computers at work, I had it had it showed delay write
> errors. Then, Windows lose connections and I have to repower off and on
> to access the HDD again. I also tried different power and USB cables
> since many people use the same HDD. Also, it is not heat beause
> sometimes I get this problem after a few minutes after powering on from
> room temperature (not warm either).

> Chkdsk /f /r did not report anything. I don't think it does testing
> deep. Are there any tools that will do? I am trying HD Tune v2.52, but I
> don't think that's enough. I need something like SpinRite, but it done
> via DOS and doesn't do USB connections. :(

> Thank you in advance. :)

There is only one option that works and does more than a very
simple scan for defective sectors: Remove the disk, connect it
directly to an (S)ATA bus and do a long SMART selftest.
Look at the SMART attributes and the SMART error log, before and
after the test. Unfortunately this is impossible over USB.

Arno
From: ANTant on
In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Rod Speed <rod.speed.aaa(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> ANTant(a)zimage.com wrote:

> > Are there free programs like SpinRite that does well to do DEEP disk
> > checking/testings on external hard disk drives like Maxtor's USB (160 GB)?

> None that do what SpinRite claims to do.

Hmmph.

> > On two computers at work, I had it had it showed delay write errors.

> Thats usually a problem with the bridge in the box, lousy design.

What do you mean by bridge? Architecture?

> > Then, Windows lose connections and I have to repower off
> > and on to access the HDD again. I also tried different power
> > and USB cables since many people use the same HDD.

> You could try a different USB port, or a USB PCI card in the PC.

Already tried different ports (used the back) and different computers.
All had the same errors. I also tried others' USB HDDs (same brand and
models -- one was a different size), and no problems. I think the one I
am investigating is dying.

> > Also, it is not heat beause sometimes I get this problem after a few
> > minutes after powering on from room temperature (not warm either).

> > Chkdsk /f /r did not report anything. I don't think it does testing deep.

> It only 'tests' file systems, not hard drives.

Ah. Speaking of testing HDDs, can I use those Maxtor disk utilites? Or
do they not support external USB drives?

> > Are there any tools that will do? I am trying HD Tune v2.52,
> > but I don't think that's enough. I need something like SpinRite,
> > but it done via DOS and doesn't do USB connections. :(

> If all you want to do is exercise the drive thats USB connnected, you could
> try Bart's disktool. Not sure if it works with USB connected drives tho.

Can I use this in regular Windows XP SP2 or do I have to boot off a
BartPE??
From: Rod Speed on
ANTant(a)zimage.com wrote
> Rod Speed <rod.speed.aaa(a)gmail.com> wrote
>> ANTant(a)zimage.com wrote:

>>> Are there free programs like SpinRite that does well to do DEEP disk
>>> checking/testings on external hard disk drives like Maxtor's USB (160 GB)?

>> None that do what SpinRite claims to do.

> Hmmph.

>>> On two computers at work, I had it had it showed delay write errors.

>> Thats usually a problem with the bridge in the box, lousy design.

> What do you mean by bridge?

What is in the box that interfaces between the USB2 and PATA or SATA.

> Architecture?

Nope.

>>> Then, Windows lose connections and I have to repower off
>>> and on to access the HDD again. I also tried different power
>>> and USB cables since many people use the same HDD.

>> You could try a different USB port, or a USB PCI card in the PC.

> Already tried different ports (used the back) and different computers.
> All had the same errors. I also tried others' USB HDDs (same brand
> and models -- one was a different size), and no problems.

> I think the one I am investigating is dying.

Quite possible if it didnt always do that.

>>> Also, it is not heat beause sometimes I get this problem after a few
>>> minutes after powering on from room temperature (not warm either).

>>> Chkdsk /f /r did not report anything. I don't think it does testing deep.

>> It only 'tests' file systems, not hard drives.

> Ah. Speaking of testing HDDs, can I use those Maxtor disk utilites?

Yes.

> Or do they not support external USB drives?

Yes they do, in their own external housings anyway.

>>> Are there any tools that will do? I am trying HD Tune v2.52,
>>> but I don't think that's enough. I need something like SpinRite,
>>> but it done via DOS and doesn't do USB connections. :(

>> If all you want to do is exercise the drive thats USB connnected,
>> you could try Bart's disktool. Not sure if it works with USB
>> connected drives tho.

> Can I use this in regular Windows XP SP2 or do I have to boot off a BartPE??

Cant remember, try it and see.