From: GT on
I have an old Multivision N251C1 laptop. I think the graphics card has gone
as the laptop screen is just colourful noise. An external monitor displays
the same. I am going to break it and ebay the parts. I know the screen is a
good one, I just can't exactly remember the resolution. Can anyone help me??
It was something like 1400x1080, but I want to be sure before listing it.

The company (multivision) went into liquidation many years ago and the only
thing I can find on google is replacement batteries.

Ideally I would like to have used the screen as a second desktop monitor,
but research suggests that this is more trouble than its worth! Any thoughts
on adapters etc for this?

Incidentally, anyone want to buy a broken laptop? 15.4" 1450x1080 screen (I
think ). Athlon 2500. 512MB DDR Ram. 80GB hd. All working except GPU.... Ah,
OK, thought not!

From: philo on
GT wrote:
> I have an old Multivision N251C1 laptop. I think the graphics card has gone
> as the laptop screen is just colourful noise. An external monitor displays
> the same. I am going to break it and ebay the parts. I know the screen is a
> good one, I just can't exactly remember the resolution. Can anyone help me??
> It was something like 1400x1080, but I want to be sure before listing it.
>
> The company (multivision) went into liquidation many years ago and the only
> thing I can find on google is replacement batteries.
>
> Ideally I would like to have used the screen as a second desktop monitor,
> but research suggests that this is more trouble than its worth! Any thoughts
> on adapters etc for this?
>
> Incidentally, anyone want to buy a broken laptop? 15.4" 1450x1080 screen (I
> think ). Athlon 2500. 512MB DDR Ram. 80GB hd. All working except GPU.... Ah,
> OK, thought not!

First off, can you read the bios message?

If so then it may simply be corrupted video drivers.

try booting to safe mode

If the video is scrambled even when viewing the initial bios message
then yep, the video chip is probably bad
From: Paul on
GT wrote:
> I have an old Multivision N251C1 laptop. I think the graphics card has gone
> as the laptop screen is just colourful noise. An external monitor displays
> the same. I am going to break it and ebay the parts. I know the screen is a
> good one, I just can't exactly remember the resolution. Can anyone help me??
> It was something like 1400x1080, but I want to be sure before listing it.
>
> The company (multivision) went into liquidation many years ago and the only
> thing I can find on google is replacement batteries.
>
> Ideally I would like to have used the screen as a second desktop monitor,
> but research suggests that this is more trouble than its worth! Any thoughts
> on adapters etc for this?
>
> Incidentally, anyone want to buy a broken laptop? 15.4" 1450x1080 screen (I
> think ). Athlon 2500. 512MB DDR Ram. 80GB hd. All working except GPU.... Ah,
> OK, thought not!

Does the graphics corruption show in the BIOS ? If so, then
it is more likely to be hardware at fault.

Apparently, the GPU chip is a Radeon Mobility. It is the one with the
white cross on the top. The cross separates four RAM chips, which are
fastened to the top of the chip. So it is effectively five chips in one.

http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo289/ty_pcsolve/100_0747.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Multivision-N251c1-Motherboard-FAULTY_W0QQitemZ350224441538QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Computing_LaptopAccess_RL?hash=item518b00e0c2&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Web.archive.org cannot help, because their former website was covered
by a robots exclusion file, so the site did not get archived. That
reduces the odds of finding specs. This was apparently their old
web site address from 2004.

http://www.multivision.co.uk/gen_contactus.php

Paul
From: GT on
"philo" <philo(a)privacy.net> wrote in message
> GT wrote:
>> I have an old Multivision N251C1 laptop. I think the graphics card has
>> gone as the laptop screen is just colourful noise. An external monitor
>> displays the same. I am going to break it and ebay the parts. I know the
>> screen is a good one, I just can't exactly remember the resolution. Can
>> anyone help me?? It was something like 1400x1080, but I want to be sure
>> before listing it.
>>
>> The company (multivision) went into liquidation many years ago and the
>> only thing I can find on google is replacement batteries.
>>
>> Ideally I would like to have used the screen as a second desktop monitor,
>> but research suggests that this is more trouble than its worth! Any
>> thoughts on adapters etc for this?
>>
>> Incidentally, anyone want to buy a broken laptop? 15.4" 1450x1080 screen
>> (I think ). Athlon 2500. 512MB DDR Ram. 80GB hd. All working except
>> GPU.... Ah, OK, thought not!
>
> First off, can you read the bios message?

No, the graphics have definitely blown. Noise immediately from power on. Can
hear the hard disk working etc, so everything else is probably OK. Can ebay
the RAM etc.

Anyone know what core voltage should be for the Athlon 2500 mobile CPU? I
have put the processor in my 'living room' socket A shuttle box, but its
clocked it (automatically) at 1.65. Sure this is too high. Probably have to
pin mod it down - I seem to remember 1.4 or 1.5 volts??

From: GT on
"Paul" <nospam(a)needed.com> wrote in message
> GT wrote:
>> I have an old Multivision N251C1 laptop. I think the graphics card has
>> gone as the laptop screen is just colourful noise. An external monitor
>> displays the same. I am going to break it and ebay the parts. I know the
>> screen is a good one, I just can't exactly remember the resolution. Can
>> anyone help me?? It was something like 1400x1080, but I want to be sure
>> before listing it.
>>
>> The company (multivision) went into liquidation many years ago and the
>> only thing I can find on google is replacement batteries.
>>
>> Ideally I would like to have used the screen as a second desktop monitor,
>> but research suggests that this is more trouble than its worth! Any
>> thoughts on adapters etc for this?
>>
>> Incidentally, anyone want to buy a broken laptop? 15.4" 1450x1080 screen
>> (I think ). Athlon 2500. 512MB DDR Ram. 80GB hd. All working except
>> GPU.... Ah, OK, thought not!
>
> Does the graphics corruption show in the BIOS ? If so, then
> it is more likely to be hardware at fault.

Nothing even from power on - graphics is shot!

> Apparently, the GPU chip is a Radeon Mobility. It is the one with the
> white cross on the top. The cross separates four RAM chips, which are
> fastened to the top of the chip. So it is effectively five chips in one.
>
> http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo289/ty_pcsolve/100_0747.jpg
>
> http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Multivision-N251c1-Motherboard-FAULTY_W0QQitemZ350224441538QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Computing_LaptopAccess_RL?hash=item518b00e0c2&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Nice find! This is exactly my motherboard (can't figure out how to open the
final stage of the case tho!). Looks like the GPU is soldered onto the
board, so there will be no replacing the chip for me!

I'm just going to ebay the battery, CD, RAM, etc.

> Web.archive.org cannot help, because their former website was covered
> by a robots exclusion file, so the site did not get archived. That
> reduces the odds of finding specs. This was apparently their old
> web site address from 2004.

Yeah, tried archive too, but no good! Most of the site was done through
images etc so won't be archived anyway!

> http://www.multivision.co.uk/gen_contactus.php
>
> Paul

Cheers,