From: anil4kick on
Hi steve,

It helps me to understand the basic purpose of ssp. But i have a few doubts.

1. How ssp hosts all the services running in the farm ??

2. why do we need a separate provider to host these services , why cant central admin hosts these services by itself?

Thanks in advance
Anil

Steve Smith wrote:

This is a very high level answer as to be honest we spend a whole day in our
27-Oct-06

This is a very high level answer as to be honest we spend a whole day in our
Admin class discussing Web Applications - SSP's and Central Admin as it has
a major impact on your design and implimentation decisions.

An SSP host the services that will be used ( consumed ) by any associated
Web applications. These services include :
Profiles
Audiences
Business Data Catalog Connections
Search and Indexing
Single Sign On
Excel Services
Usage Reporting

A Web Application is a web site in IIS that hosts the Site Collections. When
this Web application is associated with an SSP all the sites that belong to
this Web application will now use the services listed above that are
configured on the SSP.

A Web application is also used to host the actual SSP. So you first create a
web application - then create your first SSP - Then create anther web
application - then create your first Top Level Site Collection to use this
new Web Application. By default this new Web application and site collection
will be associated automatically with your SSP.

Prior to creating your Site Collections you should configure your SSP
services as much as you can to ensure all is well just in case you need to
create a new SSP and delete the first one.

Steve Smith
www.combined-knowledge.com

"angi" <angi(a)news.microsoft.com> wrote in message

On Thursday, October 26, 2006 5:43 AM
angi wrote:

What's purpose of SSP on MOSS 2007?
Hi,

On the Deployment for Office SharePoint Server 2007 document,
it's mention "Create the Shared Services Provider".
Could any one tell me:
1. What's purpose of SSP? What is it benefit?
2. After created SSP what's next step? How to implement it?
3. What's different between create site collections on SSP and use Web
application direct?

Thanks for any advice!
Angi

On Friday, October 27, 2006 3:21 AM
Steve Smith wrote:

[...]

On Friday, November 03, 2006 5:13 AM
angi wrote:

Thanks for Steve.
Thanks for Steve.
Your reply gives me some senses but just as you said: this is a very high
level answer.
Allow me spend more time to test and feel about SSP then ask for advice!
Thanks, very appreciate!

Angi

"Steve Smith" <steve(a)combined-knowledge.com> ???g???l???s?D:%23L2EAiZ%23GHA.1224(a)TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...

On Friday, November 03, 2006 5:29 AM
danielsanberge wrote:

Re: What's purpose of SSP on MOSS 2007?
Hi Angi,

this blog helped me to understand more of the SSP concept:

http://blogs.msdn.com/martinkearn/archive/2006/06/06/MOSS-Architecture-_260=
0_-Shared-Services.aspx

Daniel

angi schrieb:

=B7s=BBD:%23L2EAiZ%23GHA.1224(a)TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
ed
hat
ate
his
Web

Generic Feed Parsers Redux
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/42a9b6e2-809e-4ca7-b3f6-acd41f462063/generic-feed-parsers-redu.aspx
From: Harish [MSFT] on
These links should give you all the answers,

http://msmvps.com/blogs/shane/archive/2007/06/29/what-is-a-shared-service-pr
ovider.aspx
http://blogs.msdn.com/joelo/archive/2006/10/03/Shared-Service-Providers-_280
0_SSPs_2900_-What-Are-They_2E002E002E00_-How-to_2700_s-On-Delegation.aspx

Regards,
Harish K