From: Christian Mertes on
On Mi, 2010-05-19 at 16:42 -0700, Aahz wrote:

> IPv6 has sometimes been problematical -- try disabling it.

Wow, can I have that on a t-shirt? ;)

> Also, I think you need to pass the host HTTP header to access
> docs.python.org

Look, I don't really want to read Python docs via telnet. I basically
wanted to point out that there is strange behaviour and someone might
feel responsible and look into it. Unfortunately the
webmaster(a)docs.python.org address doesn't seem to work which might be
explained by the fact that there is no mx record for this domain.

Anyway, it currently works with both Opera and I-sit-in-Siberia-style
telnet.

Have a nice day,

Christian

PS: I think I'll get off the list again because with my broken evolution
mail filters it's just too much traffic. So if there should be another
reply, please put me in the Cc.
From: David Bolen on
Christian Mertes <cmertes(a)techfak.uni-bielefeld.de> writes:

> On Mi, 2010-05-19 at 16:42 -0700, Aahz wrote:
>> Also, I think you need to pass the host HTTP header to access
>> docs.python.org
>
> Look, I don't really want to read Python docs via telnet. I basically
> wanted to point out that there is strange behaviour and someone might
> feel responsible and look into it.

I think the point is that if you are going to use telnet as a
diagnostic tool you need to more accurately represent the browser. I
just tried and using the Host header renders a completely different
response than not (presumably because the server is using virtual
hosting). With an appropriate "Host: docs.python.org" you get the
actual documentation home page, without it you get the "page has
moved" text you saw.

It may or may not have anything to do with the original problem, but
it probably does explain the response you got when you tried to use
telnet as a test tool.

-- David