From: Christian Mertes on
by kjon 2010-03-24T16:40:21+00:00.
> In Philip Semanchuk writes:
> >On Mar 24, 2010, at 12:05 PM, kj wrote:
> >> In the last couple of weeks, docs.python.org has been down repeatedly
> >> (like right now). Has anyone else noticed this?
> >http://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/docs.python.org
> Very handy. Thanks!
> ~K

Hey kjon,

I just found your mail in the archives because I've been experiencing the
same weird problems and I couldn't believe they wouldn't fix their server
for such a long time. I'd like to know what downforeveryoneorjustme.com does
because it's so lightning fast. Pinging the server? Works for me. Looking for
port 80? It's open. Connecting to it and getting a web page? That's where things
start to get interesting:

> $ telnet docs.python.org 80
> Trying 2001:888:2000:d::a2...
> Trying 82.94.164.162...
> Connected to docs.python.org.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> GET / HTTP/1.0
>

> Connection closed by foreign host.

.... after a really long time. The server wouldn't serve me. Opera reports a
network error right away though, not waiting for a timeout. And the best part:
Chrome and Firefox just get me the website. Wireshark reveals that both latter
browsers get a "304 Not Modified" response and then do a lot of weird stuff involving
DNS as well as HTTP to finally deliver a web page. Opera does no such thing but only
sends a request to 2001:888:2000:d::a2. Yeah, right, that's an IPv6 address..
I really don't understand the details of what's going on here but chances are
that you also use Opera, kjon and those who replied to you didn't?

I reported docs.python.org as a broken page to the Opera devs but I'm also Ccing this
mail to the server admin because this seems to be a more complex problem than just
a broken (if at all) web browser.

Best regards,

Christian

From: member thudfoo on
On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 9:23 AM, Christian Mertes
<cmertes(a)techfak.uni-bielefeld.de> wrote:
> by kjon 2010-03-24T16:40:21+00:00.
>> >http://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/docs.python.org
>> Very handy. Thanks!
>> ~K
>
> Hey kjon,
>
> I just found your mail in the archives because I've been experiencing the
> same weird problems and I couldn't believe they wouldn't fix their server
> for such a long time. I'd like to know what downforeveryoneorjustme.com does
> because it's so lightning fast. Pinging the server? Works for me. Looking for
> port 80? It's open. Connecting to it and getting a web page? That's where things
> start to get interesting:
>
>> $ telnet docs.python.org 80
>> Trying 2001:888:2000:d::a2...
>> Trying 82.94.164.162...
>> Connected to docs.python.org.
>> Escape character is '^]'.
>> GET / HTTP/1.0
>>

>> Connection closed by foreign host.
>
> ... after a really long time. The server wouldn't serve me. Opera reports a
> network error right away though, not waiting for a timeout. And the best part:
> Chrome and Firefox just get me the website. Wireshark reveals that both latter
> browsers get a "304 Not Modified" response and then do a lot of weird stuff involving
> DNS as well as HTTP to finally deliver a web page. Opera does no such thing but only
> sends a request to 2001:888:2000:d::a2. Yeah, right, that's an IPv6 address.
> I really don't understand the details of what's going on here but chances are
> that you also use Opera, kjon and those who replied to you didn't?
>
> I reported docs.python.org as a broken page to the Opera devs but I'm also Ccing this
> mail to the server admin because this seems to be a more complex problem than just
> a broken (if at all) web browser.
>
> Best regards,
>
>        Christian

Worked for me:

~/isos2burn> telnet docs.python.org 80
Trying 82.94.164.162...
Connected to docs.python.org.
Escape character is '^]'.
GET/HTTP/1.0
<title>302 Found</title>
</head><body>
<h1>Found</h1>
<hr>
<address>Apache/2.2.9 (Debian) DAV/2 SVN/1.5.1 mod_ssl/2.2.9
OpenSSL/0.9.8g mod_wsgi/2.5 Python/2.5.2 Server at dinsdale.python.org
Port 80</address>
Connection closed by foreign host.
~/isos2burn> date
Wed May 19 09:49:11 PDT 2010
From: Christian Mertes on
On Mi, 2010-05-19 at 09:54 -0700, member thudfoo wrote:

> Worked for me:
>
> ~/isos2burn> telnet docs.python.org 80
> Trying 82.94.164.162...
> Connected to docs.python.org.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> GET/HTTP/1.0
> <title>302 Found</title>
> </head><body>
> <h1>Found</h1>
> <hr>
> <address>Apache/2.2.9 (Debian) DAV/2 SVN/1.5.1 mod_ssl/2.2.9
> OpenSSL/0.9.8g mod_wsgi/2.5 Python/2.5.2 Server at dinsdale.python.org
> Port 80</address>

Interesting. You did read the content you got though, didn't you?

Regards,

Christian
From: Rhodri James on
On Wed, 19 May 2010 17:23:18 +0100, Christian Mertes
<cmertes(a)techfak.uni-bielefeld.de> wrote:

> I reported docs.python.org as a broken page to the Opera devs but I'm
> also Ccing this
> mail to the server admin because this seems to be a more complex problem
> than just
> a broken (if at all) web browser.

It's been working fine for me, using Opera on Window and Ubuntu, for the
last week or so.

From: Aahz on
In article <mailman.413.1274286791.32709.python-list(a)python.org>,
Christian Mertes <cmertes(a)techfak.uni-bielefeld.de> wrote:

> $ telnet docs.python.org 80
> Trying 2001:888:2000:d::a2...
> Trying 82.94.164.162...
> Connected to docs.python.org.
> Escape character is '^]'.

IPv6 has sometimes been problematical -- try disabling it. Also, I
think you need to pass the host HTTP header to access docs.python.org
--
Aahz (aahz(a)pythoncraft.com) <*> http://www.pythoncraft.com/

f u cn rd ths, u cn gt a gd jb n nx prgrmmng.