From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
No SP4.

The post-SP3 "hotfixes" are available at http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com.

No, there is not an SP3 rollup.

Every update released since 21 April 2008 is a "post-SP3 fix."

From: Daave on
smlunatick wrote:
> On May 19, 5:36 pm, "Peter Foldes" <maci252...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>> Dave and Rosanna
>>
>> Whatever post SP3 fixes is what you download in parts from Windows
>> Update. As Tom
>> answered. Also I do not know either. One thing I can guarantee that
>> there will be
>> no SP4 since support for XP (certain versions) has expired or
>> retired as you wish
>>
>> --
>> Peter

>> Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be
>> acknowledged.http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>>
>> "Dave and Rosanna" <davexnet...(a)yahoo.com> wrote in
>> messagenews:%23i33y829KHA.420(a)TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>>
>>> Isn't this an XP group? Don't MVP's hang out in here?
>>> Don't regular users of the group keep abreast of rumors and
>>> items of note ?
>>
>>> Is my question that unreasonable ?
>>
>>> "Tom Willett" <t...(a)youreadaisyifyoudo.com> wrote in message

> But the Windows Updates were supposed to go on till sometime is 2014.

That is a good point. Since so many people and businesses still use
Windows XP _and_ since it *will* be supported through 2014 (albeit it in
a minimal way, but at least with security patches), it is odd that
Microsoft does not plan on issuing SP4 (or at least some sort of
roll-up).

To Dave and/or Rosanna:

No, that question was not unreasonable at all. :-)

From: Chuck on
On 5/19/2010 3:48 PM, PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> No SP4.
>
> The post-SP3 "hotfixes" are available at
> http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com.
>
> No, there is not an SP3 rollup.
>
> Every update released since 21 April 2008 is a "post-SP3 fix."
>
> Dave and Rosanna wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> not sure if there's going to be an SP4. What about SP3 rollup ?
>> Have there been many post-SP3 fixes of note?
>>
>> Any worth persuing and instaling ?
>> (I'm talking about non-security fixes)
>>
>> Thanks for any info.

At this point, and likely for some time to come, XP is being installed
by OEMs on new "small footprint" computers, such as "netbooks".
Future support of XP may be pushed off to the OEMS.
Microsoft may or may not make the equivalent of "SP4" available to them.
If so, I would guess that it might also be made public.

No customer likes to fire up a brand new computer, and then spend a
significant amount of time updating the brand new computer.

From: Doum on
Chuck <cdkuder(a)msn.com> �crivait news:ebRt9LD#KHA.420(a)TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl:

<snip>

> At this point, and likely for some time to come, XP is being installed
> by OEMs on new "small footprint" computers, such as "netbooks".
<snip>

It was like this in the "Vista era" but now, most netbooks come with
Windows 7 Starter edition.

I've upgraded my "XP netbook"(ASUS) to Win7 Home and it runs as well, if
not better than with XP.

From: Ken Blake, MVP on
On Sat, 22 May 2010 03:51:58 -0700, Doum <me(a)domain.net> wrote:

> Chuck <cdkuder(a)msn.com> ?crivait news:ebRt9LD#KHA.420(a)TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl:
>
> <snip>
> >
> > At this point, and likely for some time to come, XP is being installed
> > by OEMs on new "small footprint" computers, such as "netbooks".
> <snip>
>
> It was like this in the "Vista era" but now, most netbooks come with
> Windows 7 Starter edition.

True.

> I've upgraded my "XP netbook"(ASUS) to Win7 Home and it runs as well, if
> not better than with XP.

My EEE came with XP too. Because you can't directly get from XP to
Windows 7 without doing a clean installation, I first upgraded to
Vista, then to Windows 7 Ultimate. Performance isn't great, but it's
adequate for my uses.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup