From: David Combs on
Heard a rumor that (a) sun no longer made type-6 keyboards, and

(b) that soon the type-7 keyboards would all be of PC layout,
ie with the control-key way down at the bottom, NOT adjacent
to the "a".

If that's true, how the heck are we to use either VI or EMACS
(ie without having it hurt every time we used a control-char)?

----

I guess a 2nd question might be: what is Oracle doing with (or "to")
Sun?

Any mass layouts so far? Predicted?

Any news worth knowing?

Thanks,

David

From: Hugo on
I highly recommend everyone goes and finds the "Oracle Sun Future" webcast
that was hosted (about 4hours long from memory) earlier this year - if you
havnt already seen it.

Larry (and therefore Oracle) want Sun .. They want the hardware and the
operating system so that they can compete (and win - hehe) against IBM's
"packaged" solutions.

Oracle are proactively looking for more Solaris developer's and basically
there will be some job losses where things can be stream-lined (like
Bigadmin is being moved/assimilated into Oracle's website) ..

I think times ahead will be good, and in the years to come, people with
Solaris SysAdm and MySql/Oracle DBA skills combined will have several job
opportunities :)