From: David Stone on
In article
<8c072524-eca2-406e-b039-6277165fab17(a)f33g2000yqe.googlegroups.com>,
TheBicyclingGuitarist <Chris(a)TheBicyclingGuitarist.net> wrote:

> On Jul 26, 12:34 pm, Osmo Saarikumpu <o...(a)wippies.com> wrote:
> > C A Upsdell kirjoitti:
> >
> > > Except that AFAIK "handheld" is not at all well supported:
> >
> > I did not know that. I was under the impression that it was very well
> > supported by modern handhelds.
> >
> > Anyways, as dorayme knows, I'm an idealist, as in authoring pages for
> > the future (it's a time saver, believe me).
> >
> > --
> > Best wishes,
> > Osmo
>
> Just adding the min-width to the one div in the stylesheet seems to
> have helped tremendously. The navigation text doesn't disappear as it
> did before. That's the kind of changes I'm looking to make: simple
> ones that make a difference. I'm not opposed to total redesign, but
> only if it is necessary. Any further suggestions are welcome.

It might be worth investigating how feasible it is to add an
@media handheld { } block to your style sheet, and use it to
rearrange the navigation horizontally rather than as a vertical
side column. Whether or not the handheld media type is well-supported
by browsers running on modern handhelds is a good question, but
one would hope it would at least become so!
From: C A Upsdell on
On 2010-07-27 10:43, David Stone wrote:
> In article
> <8c072524-eca2-406e-b039-6277165fab17(a)f33g2000yqe.googlegroups.com>,
> TheBicyclingGuitarist<Chris(a)TheBicyclingGuitarist.net> wrote:
>>
>> Just adding the min-width to the one div in the stylesheet seems to
>> have helped tremendously. The navigation text doesn't disappear as it
>> did before. That's the kind of changes I'm looking to make: simple
>> ones that make a difference. I'm not opposed to total redesign, but
>> only if it is necessary. Any further suggestions are welcome.
>
> It might be worth investigating how feasible it is to add an
> @media handheld { } block to your style sheet, and use it to
> rearrange the navigation horizontally rather than as a vertical
> side column. Whether or not the handheld media type is well-supported
> by browsers running on modern handhelds is a good question, but
> one would hope it would at least become so!

My observation is that support for media rules is poor and declining,
and that browser makers are instead opting to support media queries,
which are more capable. I use a blend of the two. For example, I may use:

<link type="text/css" href="mobile.css" rel="stylesheet"
media="handheld, only screen and (max-width:480px)">

in order to include mobile.css when the device is handheld (media rule)
or has a small screen with width <= 480px (media query).

From: Andy Dingley on
On 27 July, 15:43, David Stone <no.em...(a)domain.invalid> wrote:

> It might be worth investigating how feasible it is to add an
> @media handheld { } block to your style sheet,

Would that be for my 200px wide handheld GSM phone, or my 800px wide
handheld GSM tablet?

The CSS 2.* media selectors are completely inadequate for selecting a
"handheld" behaviour, because "handheld" is now just too broad in what
it can refer to.