From: Benjamin Gawert on
* muzician21:
> I've got a P4 2.4 gig machine now running XP, largely want to improve
> rendering speed for video editing, how much processor do I need in the
> Core 2 Duo realm to realize a healthy jump in speed?

Well, except the intel Atom and similar low-power CPUs of course you
probably will have a hard time finding a somewhat newer CPU that doesn't
give you a very noticable performance improvent.

> Not too proud to
> go used, can't afford the latest greatest, but would like to see a
> "significant" jump in speed.

Well, a P4 2.4GHz sounds like Socket428 to me, and honestly, everything
you can get for this socket is old and slow. However, if your mobo is
already Socket LGA775 then it depends on the mobo. Older LGA775 boards
are limited to the Pentium D (basically a dual core Pentium4) which will
already give you a noticable performance boost (get a Pentium D 9xx not
the old 8xx series, though!).

However, if your board supports it then the Core 2 Duo/Quad is the way
to go.

Benjamin