From: Dave C. on

> >On a side note, the days of the CPU are numbered. GPUs are getting
> >so powerful, they will soon take over all the CPU functions
>
> This really isn't true.
>
> GPUs are very good at performing a very small number of tasks, and for
> those specific tasks, no modern general purpose CPU can compete.
>
> General purpose CPUs' days may be numbered, but it will take more than
> GPUs to replace them.

What you fail to realize is that it would be trivial to design a single
chip to perform both functions. We already have quad-core chips being
the de-facto standard. How long do you think it would take AMD/ATI
(for example) to integrate a CPU into a GPU fab?

It's coming. Now you know why AMD bought ATI. They needed to. -Dave

--
Dave C. <noway(a)nohow.never>
From: Dave C. on

> CPU and GPU on the same die isn't particularly difficult to
> accomplish, but it's not a GPU taking over for a CPU, it's a CPU+GPU
> on one die.

It depends on how you look at it. If 90% or more of a single chip is
dedicated to graphics processing and the rest is performing CPU
functions while still assisting in graphics processing, do you call it
a CPU?

Within 10 years or so (probably) the CPU will be (at most) a trivial
specification buried in the microscopic print of the list of
specifications that describe the GPU you buy. Kind of like the
ethernet adapter built into a mainboard. Is it important? Sure. Is
it a primary thing you look for when buying a motherboard? Well some
people do. Most just take it for granted. That's what the CPU will be
soon. Just a (yawn) small part of a GPU. -Dave
From: Dave C. on
On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 10:04:01 -0500
"geoff" <nospam(a)nospam.com> wrote:

> > Within 10 years or so (probably) the CPU will be (at most) a trivial
> > specification
>
> Maybe, maybe not. In the 90s, Intel said computers, by the turn of
> the century, would use bio-chips and touted all kinds of fantastic
> speeds but all they did was run the 90s technology down a rabbit hole.

What the experts are expecting is nothing but a merging of existing
technology. This is not vaporware we are talking about, just a logical
course for current technology to develop.

> . . . so, any 'plans' or guesswork from pundits about where Intel
> will go with technology is a 'yawn' until something is built and/or
> sold, IMHO.
>
> --g

Who said anything about Intel? I half expect Intel to go the way of
cyrix, unless they buy nvidia. Note I have nothing against Intel. I
just don't see how they (Intel) are going to become a GPU developer to
compete with the likes of nvidia and AMD/ATI in time to compete in the
marketplace that is developing.

Intel makes fantastic quality CPUs. What they need to make is
fantastic quality GPUs. Or they can buy nvidia. Or they can cease
to exist. -Dave