From: mm on
What is amrt.msi?

When I tried to install Eudora 7.1 on a new netbook with XP home, it
said "THE FEATURE YOU ARE TRYING TO USE IS ON A NETWORK RESOURCE THAT
IS UNAVAILABLE." Since I couldn't find amrt.msi, the only other
choice was to cancel the install.

I guess since Eudora is so unreliant on Windows, the install was
complete anyhow, but I'd still like to know.

I'm running Eudora 7.0.1 on my own XP, but I never installed it. I
run it from the win98SE partition, which is accessible from winXP.
And on a win2000 computer, I also never installed it. I just copied
all the files from a flashdrive that was copied from win98SE. So I've
never installed it before, except on win98.

There were two web posts asking about this, unrelated to Eudora and
both dealing with Windows 7. Anyone who answered didnt' know what it
was, thought it might be a virus; but I just did a complete scan with
CA Security Center on the HD, in the reconditioned ACER netbook my
friend just bought from Comp-USA.

Posted to an XP and the Eudora groups.
From: John H Meyers on
[trimmed to comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows]

On Fri, 22 Jan 2010 11:39:41 -0600:

> What is amrt.msi?

What came up in your internet searches?

For me, only stuff like this:
http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/39005-windows-installer-failure.html

> When I tried to install Eudora 7.1 on a new netbook with XP home,
> it said "THE FEATURE YOU ARE TRYING TO USE IS ON A NETWORK RESOURCE
> THAT IS UNAVAILABLE." Since I couldn't find amrt.msi,
> the only other choice was to cancel the install.

Take a very close look at this "it," to see whether
it's the "Installshield" installer for Eudora,
or perhaps is something else.

Something completely independent might be happening,
and might be getting confused with installing Eudora around the same time.

Did you try a re-run of Eudora's installer,
after this alien craft departed the scene?

> I'm running Eudora 7.0.1 on my own XP, but I never installed it.

It's widely reported that you can get away with "just running" Eudora,
but it's possible that something you'd want Windows to know or do
(e.g. to show Eudora among email programs in "Set Program Access
and Defaults," to set a common launching shortcut,
to "register" some DLLs for everyone) might be omitted,
so it might be a good idea to run the installer,
on any system where you want Eudora to "move in" permanently.

On Vista and Windows 7, you will never get the recommended proper
installation defaults suggested to you, if you do not run the installer.

Of course, numerous people run the installer and just ignore
the default location for mail and settings, or even worse,
may choose the "program files" location for mail and settings,
which later proves very ill advised, but "just copying Eudora
into Program Files," as was an old pre-Vista habit of many,
is also nearly a guarantee of a rough ride ahead.

> There were two web posts asking about this, unrelated to Eudora and
> both dealing with Windows 7. Anyone who answered didn't know what it
> was, thought it might be a virus; but I just did a complete scan with
> CA Security Center on the HD, in the reconditioned ACER netbook my
> friend just bought from Comp-USA.

Not all X-rays catch all tumors, and not all virus scans
can pick up all malware -- they can only pick up
"repeat offenders" that have accumulated "rap sheets,"
while others that may yet explode into violence
have yet to reveal themselves,
just like the occasional inept shoe bomber,
inept vest detonator, or unfortunately not so inept shooter.