From: gnirre on
Will Microsofts design an ARM processor? If so, what operating system
will it be intended for? What architectural features would Microsoft
be looking for in its own ARM processor?

Is the main purpose to be infull control over the next ARM version
"ARMv8"?

By the way, what characteristics does the Apple ARM Cortex A8-
processor Apple A4 have? Is this known?

- Jan Tångring, editor of swedish language electronics news site
etn.se
From: Robert on
"gnirre" <gnirre(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> Will Microsofts design an ARM processor? If so, what operating system
> will it be intended for? What architectural features would Microsoft
> be looking for in its own ARM processor?
>
> Is the main purpose to be infull control over the next ARM version
> "ARMv8"?
>
> By the way, what characteristics does the Apple ARM Cortex A8-
> processor Apple A4 have? Is this known?
>
> - Jan T�ngring, editor of swedish language electronics news site
> etn.se

A few possible choices:
1) Phones.
2) a Larrabee type thing with 2x as many cores, as ARM is smaller.
3) They have that new Kinnect/xbox thing. Maybe cheaper with a custom
core?
4) Try the i960 coprocessor again, this time with something easier to
customize.

From: jgd on
In article
gnirre(a)gmail.com (gnirre) wrote:

> Will Microsofts design an ARM processor?

I doubt it very much. They probably want to put an ARM with custom
peripherals onto a chip in some piece of equipment. They do sell quite a
lot of electronics in various forms: this could well go into a Zune
successor, for example.

> If so, what operating system will it be intended for?

Well, almost certainly not Windows. ARM does not have 64-bit addressing,
and doesn't have the kind of performance per thread that modern AMD and
Intel x86-64 processors provide. Windows has got used to that kind of
performance, and stripping it down to run at a useful speed on an ARM
would be really hard work. Besides, the usefulness of Windows is in the
range of applications available, and many of those were not designed to
be portable to other architectures. The one-per-child laptop guy who
appealed to MS to produce an ARM version of Windows 7 last year clearly
didn't understand what he was asking for.

As for phones and suchlike portable devices, Windows Mobile already runs
on ARM for them.

> Is the main purpose to be infull control over the next ARM version
> "ARMv8"?

We're already up to ARM9, I think. MS would not be acquiring control
over the architecture by buying an AMD license; to do that they'd have
to buy ARM the company. ARM doesn't want to be bought, and few to none
of ARM's customers would want MS to own ARM.

> By the way, what characteristics does the Apple ARM Cortex A8-
> processor Apple A4 have? Is this known?

There's some stuff on Wikipedia: four cores, about 1GHz clock speed.

--
John Dallman, jgd(a)cix.co.uk, HTML mail is treated as probable spam.
From: Paul Gotch on
jgd(a)cix.compulink.co.uk wrote:
> We're already up to ARM9, I think.

We are up to ARM architecture version 7. The various ARM9s were
implementations of ARMv4T and ARMv5TE originally designed in the late
90s and early 00s.

> > By the way, what characteristics does the Apple ARM Cortex A8-
> > processor Apple A4 have? Is this known?

> There's some stuff on Wikipedia: four cores, about 1GHz clock speed.

The Cortex-A8 is not multi core capable, so that's rather unlikely.

-p
--
Paul Gotch
From: Andy Glew "newsgroup at on
On 7/27/2010 11:34 AM, jgd(a)cix.compulink.co.uk wrote:
> In article
> <284da124-7934-42bb-a58c-899a935a04ce(a)5g2000yqz.googlegroups.com>,
> gnirre(a)gmail.com (gnirre) wrote:
>
>> Will Microsofts [sic] design an ARM processor?
>
> I doubt it very much. They probably want to put an ARM with custom
> peripherals onto a chip in some piece of equipment. They do sell quite a
> lot of electronics in various forms: this could well go into a Zune
> successor, for example.

If that was what they wanted, they could have bought a much cheaper
license, that allows them to use an existing ARM core design, and build
an SOC out of it.

Instead, according to reports ARM has bought an architecture license,
that allows them to create their own completely different CPU design.
Different CPU pipeline. I'm not sure, but I believe it may allow them
to create a 64 bit implementation (probably with ARM agreeing on the ISA
details).