From: Green Xenon on

>> and
>>
>>> Who cares? Aint gonna happen.
>>
>> I'm just curious, since I like the nostalgia of dial-up
>
>Nothing stops you from using dial-up now. 56 Kb is part of the
experience.

I'm still interested in ways dial-up could be made faster than cable while
still having all its signals in the human audio spectrum.

Hence, I daydream about the telephone systems updating themselves.
Bandwidth should include frequencies from 20 Hz to 20 kHz, not above or
below that spectrum. Dynamic range should be as large as
physically-possible without the phones and modems requiring power supplies
of their own*.

*Cordless and many corded phones require 110v [220v outside of USA/Canada]
power supplies of their own to function. I don't want this requirement for
any of my phones, modems or other telephone devices.
From: Green Xenon on
>Green Xenon wrote:
>>> Not that you'd actually see 24 bits even if you increased the quality
of
>>> the D/A converter -- 24 bits of precision is well below the threshold
of

>>> seeing 2nd order effects, and into the really weird stuff.
>>

>> But isn't it possible to build phone systems than can handle 144 dB
[24
>> bits] of dynamic range?
>
>Yes. It is also possible to build phone systems with a 20KHz bandwidth.
>Who would pay for it?

How much does it cost to boost the phone systems from a dynamic range of
48 dB all the way up to 144 dB?
From: glen herrmannsfeldt on
Green Xenon <green_xenon1(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
(snip)

> How much does it cost to boost the phone systems from a
> dynamic range of 48 dB all the way up to 144 dB?

I will guess that it increases your phone bill by about
a factor of 100. Amplifiers with 100dB S/N aren't so hard to
find, but 144dB is much harder. Also, the only way this could
be done is to run a digital signal all the way to the house and
do the conversion there. I am pretty sure the existing phone
wiring, including crosstalk, isn't anywhere close.

-- glen
From: Green Xenon on
>Green Xenon <green_xenon1(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>(snip)
>
>> How much does it cost to boost the phone systems from a
>> dynamic range of 48 dB all the way up to 144 dB?
>
>I will guess that it increases your phone bill by about
>a factor of 100. Amplifiers with 100dB S/N aren't so hard to
>find, but 144dB is much harder. Also, the only way this could
>be done is to run a digital signal all the way to the house and
>do the conversion there. I am pretty sure the existing phone
>wiring, including crosstalk, isn't anywhere close.
>
>-- glen

What is the maximum dynamic range that analog telephones system [used for
dial-up internet access] can be built to provide? You said 144 dB to too
much. Is 100 dB also too much.

Also, could the analog telephone systems be simulated digitally so that
one can experience the nostalgia of dial-up [dialing the phone numbers and
hearing the modem tones] while using cable/DSL so that the speed is much
faster.

I ask because it is possible to perfectly emulate Gameboys and Nintendo
games on today's fast PCs. I have a gameboy emulator that works perfectly.
For NES games I visits virtualnes.com and playnes.net. These online NES
emulators work perfectly. So I'm wondering if the nostalgia of dial-up can
be emulators with an added advantages of the high-speed of the cable/DSL
internet service being physically provided.

A lot of old equipment are now being digitally-emulated without failure.
From: Green Xenon on
>Green Xenon wrote:
>.
>> Also, could the analog telephone systems be simulated digitally so
that
>> one can experience the nostalgia of dial-up [dialing the phone numbers
and
>> hearing the modem tones] while using cable/DSL so that the speed is
much
>> faster.
>>

>Sample it. The modem dialup sound is probably in a sample or effects
>library somewhere. You could use it as the ring tone on your mobile. You

>could record the sound of a fax connection. Can't be that different,
really.

>For myself, I feel no nostalgia, didn't think dialup was worth what one
>had to pay for it, and definitely not the number of times the ISP went
>down altogether. Punched ticker tape readers - now that was something to

>get nostalgic about. A prof I know still has a stack of computer punched

>cards on a shelf, in "as-new" condition. Doubt if he is nostalgic about
>the week-long turnaround for the results though.
>
>Richard Dobson

1. It's not just the sound that's nostalgic but pretty much everything
perceptible about the dial-up internet access. So if it could be simulated
on a modern cable internet connection [like NES and gameboys can be
simulated on modern PCs]. That would be both nostalgic and fast. This
simulated dial-up can be much faster because the devices involved in cable
internet access have a much larger dynamic range than those involved in
actual dial-up access.

2. To me, fax and dial-up modems sound *very* different from each other.

3. Dial-up can be free. Here:
http://www.fastfreedialup.com/free_dialup_access_numbers.html#connect