From: Steve on
Hi, I was wondering if anybody has been getting the same results as me.
I have been using a form with a sub form for some time with the sub form
records out of order when the main form and sub form start up.
The record Id is set to random instead of incremental but I do have a place
holder field so I can get the order correct when I use a query for reports.
I can use a query to sort the records. But I thought using the Orderby
property would be fine but how does that work because when I set the orderby
and turn it on its ok until the form queries then it crashes horribly and
shuts down access. I'm using access 2003.
The orderby on the table properties seems not to work at all.
Any help most appreciated
Steve ( From a land down under)
From: John W. Vinson on
On Wed, 03 Feb 2010 00:05:44 +0800, Steve <steve(a)bexley.net.au> wrote:

>Hi, I was wondering if anybody has been getting the same results as me.
>I have been using a form with a sub form for some time with the sub form
>records out of order when the main form and sub form start up.
>The record Id is set to random instead of incremental but I do have a place
>holder field so I can get the order correct when I use a query for reports.
>I can use a query to sort the records. But I thought using the Orderby
>property would be fine but how does that work because when I set the orderby
>and turn it on its ok until the form queries then it crashes horribly and
>shuts down access. I'm using access 2003.
>The orderby on the table properties seems not to work at all.
>Any help most appreciated
>Steve ( From a land down under)

The order of records in the Table is irrelevant. I'm not sure why you're
having trouble with the OrderBy property of the Form, but the most common way
to do this is to base the Form on a Query, sorting the records in the desired
order. Otherwise Access will show the records in whatever order it finds
convenient.

Reports are different in this regard: the sort order of the table or the
recordsource query are irrelevant and ignored; you need to use the Report's
Sorting and Grouping dialog to control the order.
--

John W. Vinson [MVP]