From: Giovanni on
On 22 Set, 00:04, Virgil <vir...(a)comcast.net> wrote:
> In article <1190400492.552077.156...(a)r29g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>,
>

> Giovanni <giovanni0ferre...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi!
> > I recently used a TI-89 Titanium (I'm, sorry, but I had to...) instead
> > of my 50g and I noticed the presence of a comand named "when". This
> > comand allows the user to plot a system of equation. For example, if
> > one condition is "x>0", then you can tell the calculator to plot
> > "cos(abs(x))" if the first condition is true; you can then tell the
> > calculator to plot "cos(x)" if "x<0".
> > My question is: is there something similar for the 50g, too? I tried
> > to write "WHEN" in the eqw, when I have to insert the function to
> > plot, and such a comand seems to exist because, if you digit "WHEN",
> > you can use brackets after this comand (for example, you're prevented
> > from to doing so if you digit some other letters, for instance
> > "asddfgggf"); thus, the calculator must "understand" the expression
> > "When" as a command; however, this is neither present in the "catalog"
> > menu nor in the User's Guide, so I don't know the syntax (which is
> > certainly different from the one used by TI-89 Titanium).
> > Any advice is welcomed!
>
> Try
> 'Y=IFTE(0<X,SIN(X),COS(X))' STEQ ERASE DRAX DRAW
>
> The above w ill graph COS(X) for X <= 0 and SIN(X) for X > 0.
>
> IFTE is an abbreviation of "if then else".- Nascondi testo tra virgolette -
>
> - Mostra testo tra virgolette -

Although the other methods kindly described work, yours is probably
the nearest to what I saw on TI-89 Titanium; however, when I plot such
a function, the calculator is much slower than usual in this kind of
operation. Is it normal? If I plot a graph using the other methods, it
is as fast as usual.
Anyway, thank you all for your help!

From: Wes on
Yes, you can do this, but first to clarify the two situations you
mentioned.

> but an alternative way on the 83 is to type equation
> and then the condition.
> Ex: Graph y=x+2 for x>5 so you would type y1=x+2(x>5)

I think you meant to type y1=(x+2)(x>5). The parentheses around the x
+2 are required to have the effect you want. The x>5 evaluates to
either 1 (true) or 0 (false). This value is then multiplied by x+2
giving the result x+2 when true and 0 when false. If you turn off the
graph axes (2nd-Format, AxesOff), you'll see that it's actually
graphing 0 when false.

> I recently used a TI-89 Titanium ...
> you can then tell the calculator to plot "cos(x)" if "x<0".

On the 89, entering y1=cos(x)|x<0 plots cos(x) when x<0 and plots
nothing when x>=0. If you turn the axes off (F1, Format, Axes Off),
you'll see that it really is plotting nothing, not 0, when false. The
89 won't allow the "multiply by a boolean" trick as it has stricter
type checking, treating true/false as a true boolean, not an integer.

As others have mentioned, this can be done on the 50g using the IFTE
function. It's even easier than what's been suggested. At the Y=
screen, simply entering your function as

Y1=IFTE(X>5,X+2,0)
Y2=IFTE(X<0,COS(X),0)

would plot as the 83 does, plotting 0 when false. Read the IFTE (IF-
Then-Else) function as "IF x>5 Then x+2 Else 0".

The 0 is usually hidden by the x-axis, but if you would prefer the
"don't plot anything when false" option, then simply replace 0 with
something not real, such as sqrt(-1).

Y1=IFTE(X>5,X+2,i)
y2=IFTE(X<0,COS(X),i)

An interesting side note on the 89, when I defined

y1=x+2|x>5
y2=cos(x)|x<0

then y1(4) returned "undefined" as expected, but y2(1) returned
"sin(infinity)". Interesting.

-wes

From: Giovanni on
On 22 Set, 16:10, Wes <wjltemp...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> Yes, you can do this, but first to clarify the two situations you
> mentioned.
>
> > but an alternative way on the 83 is to type equation
> > and then the condition.
> > Ex: Graph y=x+2 for x>5 so you would type y1=x+2(x>5)
>
> I think you meant to type y1=(x+2)(x>5). The parentheses around the x
> +2 are required to have the effect you want. The x>5 evaluates to
> either 1 (true) or 0 (false). This value is then multiplied by x+2
> giving the result x+2 when true and 0 when false. If you turn off the
> graph axes (2nd-Format, AxesOff), you'll see that it's actually
> graphing 0 when false.
>
> > I recently used a TI-89 Titanium ...
> > you can then tell the calculator to plot "cos(x)" if "x<0".
>
> On the 89, entering y1=cos(x)|x<0 plots cos(x) when x<0 and plots
> nothing when x>=0. If you turn the axes off (F1, Format, Axes Off),
> you'll see that it really is plotting nothing, not 0, when false. The
> 89 won't allow the "multiply by a boolean" trick as it has stricter
> type checking, treating true/false as a true boolean, not an integer.
>
> As others have mentioned, this can be done on the 50g using the IFTE
> function. It's even easier than what's been suggested. At the Y=
> screen, simply entering your function as
>
> Y1=IFTE(X>5,X+2,0)
> Y2=IFTE(X<0,COS(X),0)
>
> would plot as the 83 does, plotting 0 when false. Read the IFTE (IF-
> Then-Else) function as "IF x>5 Then x+2 Else 0".
>
> The 0 is usually hidden by the x-axis, but if you would prefer the
> "don't plot anything when false" option, then simply replace 0 with
> something not real, such as sqrt(-1).
>
> Y1=IFTE(X>5,X+2,i)
> y2=IFTE(X<0,COS(X),i)
>
> An interesting side note on the 89, when I defined
>
> y1=x+2|x>5
> y2=cos(x)|x<0
>
> then y1(4) returned "undefined" as expected, but y2(1) returned
> "sin(infinity)". Interesting.
>
> -wes

Thanks for the "clarification", which was really helpful. Eventually,
I consider the problem sorted out, so thank you all for your support!

From: Giovanni on
Well, if I have to say there would be something else I would like to
know... about this kind of graphs (graphs of systems of equations).
I'm encountering some problems with the following:
1st equation: SQRT(4-x^2) with ABS(x)<=2
2nd equation: ABS(x)-2 with ABS(x)>2
The 50g plots the graph correctly only using the following methods:
1) writing a small program, as described by Andreas (so typing << IF
'abs(x)<=2' THEN 'SQRT(4-x^2)' ELSE 'abs(x)-2' END >>);
2) using the IFTE method, as suggested by Virgil and others;
Quite surprisingly to me, if I use the method of the TI-83 (let's call
it this way), so if I write (abs(x)<=2)*(SQRT(4-x^2))+
(abs(x)>2)*(abs(x)-2)), the calculator only plots the positive part of
the semi-circumference.
Has anyone of you got an idea about why the machine behaves in such a
way?
Thank you!

From: Virgil on
In article <1190502568.193132.278610(a)w3g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>,
Giovanni <giovanni0ferretti(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> Well, if I have to say there would be something else I would like to
> know... about this kind of graphs (graphs of systems of equations).
> I'm encountering some problems with the following:
> 1st equation: SQRT(4-x^2) with ABS(x)<=2
> 2nd equation: ABS(x)-2 with ABS(x)>2
> The 50g plots the graph correctly only using the following methods:
> 1) writing a small program, as described by Andreas (so typing << IF
> 'abs(x)<=2' THEN 'SQRT(4-x^2)' ELSE 'abs(x)-2' END >>);
> 2) using the IFTE method, as suggested by Virgil and others;
> Quite surprisingly to me, if I use the method of the TI-83 (let's call
> it this way), so if I write (abs(x)<=2)*(SQRT(4-x^2))+
> (abs(x)>2)*(abs(x)-2)), the calculator only plots the positive part of
> the semi-circumference.
> Has anyone of you got an idea about why the machine behaves in such a
> way?
> Thank you!

There is a system flag, number -119, which, when set, causes ABS(X) to
behave like an absolute value but, when clear, treats 'ABS(X)' like
plain X.

For example, do -119 CF to clear the flag
then 'ABS(X)' STEQ ERASE DRAW
and you will see the absolute value function graphed, but now do
ON -119 SF ERASE DRAW and the same function in 'EQ" now graphs as if it
were an un-absoluted 'X'.

The HP's have a whole bunch of tricks like that , which you only learn
about through experience.
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: MacOSX + HP48gx