From: Giovanni on
Hi!
I recently used a TI-89 Titanium (I'm, sorry, but I had to...) instead
of my 50g and I noticed the presence of a comand named "when". This
comand allows the user to plot a system of equation. For example, if
one condition is "x>0", then you can tell the calculator to plot
"cos(abs(x))" if the first condition is true; you can then tell the
calculator to plot "cos(x)" if "x<0".
My question is: is there something similar for the 50g, too? I tried
to write "WHEN" in the eqw, when I have to insert the function to
plot, and such a comand seems to exist because, if you digit "WHEN",
you can use brackets after this comand (for example, you're prevented
from to doing so if you digit some other letters, for instance
"asddfgggf"); thus, the calculator must "understand" the expression
"When" as a command; however, this is neither present in the "catalog"
menu nor in the User's Guide, so I don't know the syntax (which is
certainly different from the one used by TI-89 Titanium).
Any advice is welcomed!

From: Graywolf on
I never use my 50-g for graphing (I don't find it as good as 89s), but
an alternative way on the 83 is to type equation and then the
condition.

Ex: Graph y=x+2 for x>5 so you would type y1=x+2(x>5)

So you treat it like a Boolean expression. I'm not sure if the HP can
do this, but there must be some way.

From: Andreas Möller on
Hello,

I´m not aware of any command called WHEN. The way you described it
just means that the global identifier WHEN is allowed as a variable.

The plot-system will also plot programs, so create a program that
tests your condition and depending on the test your desired function
is drawn.

Example:
Assumption: you use RPN-Mode and X is the independed variable:
«
IF X 0.000000 >
THEN 'COS(ABS(X))'
ELSE 'X^2'
END
»

Store this program in 'EQ' and draw it. You will notice that for the
negative x-axis 'COS(ABS(X))' is plotted and for the positiv x-axis
'X^2' is drawn.

HTH
Andreas
http://www.software49g.gmxhome.de

From: dj_jurny on
Hi all,

Another way:
eg1:
store '(X<0)*COS(ABS(X))+(X>0)*COS(X)' in 'EQ' and draw it,
eg2:
store '(X<0)*COS(ABS(X))+(X>0)*X^2' in 'EQ' and draw it

HTH
dj_jurny

From: Virgil on
In article <1190400492.552077.156370(a)r29g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>,
Giovanni <giovanni0ferretti(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi!
> I recently used a TI-89 Titanium (I'm, sorry, but I had to...) instead
> of my 50g and I noticed the presence of a comand named "when". This
> comand allows the user to plot a system of equation. For example, if
> one condition is "x>0", then you can tell the calculator to plot
> "cos(abs(x))" if the first condition is true; you can then tell the
> calculator to plot "cos(x)" if "x<0".
> My question is: is there something similar for the 50g, too? I tried
> to write "WHEN" in the eqw, when I have to insert the function to
> plot, and such a comand seems to exist because, if you digit "WHEN",
> you can use brackets after this comand (for example, you're prevented
> from to doing so if you digit some other letters, for instance
> "asddfgggf"); thus, the calculator must "understand" the expression
> "When" as a command; however, this is neither present in the "catalog"
> menu nor in the User's Guide, so I don't know the syntax (which is
> certainly different from the one used by TI-89 Titanium).
> Any advice is welcomed!

Try
'Y=IFTE(0<X,SIN(X),COS(X))' STEQ ERASE DRAX DRAW

The above w ill graph COS(X) for X <= 0 and SIN(X) for X > 0.

IFTE is an abbreviation of "if then else".
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: MacOSX + HP48gx
Next: mmc and mdc