From: Christoph Widmer on
A copy-paste of the user manual (page 26-13):
Backup battery

A CR2032 back up battery is included in the calculator to provide power

backup to volatile memory when changing the main batteries. It is

recommended that you replace this battery every 5 years. A screen message

will indicate when this battery needs replacement. The diagram below shows

the location of the backup battery in the top compartment at the back of the

calculator.

---

Kind regards, Chris.

From: John H Meyers on
On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 19:29:38 -0500, bokubob wrote:

> [the Index?] is in the table of contents

No, an "Index" is what's at the back of a publication,
specifically marked "Index," and is intended to provide
a thorough list of all keywords in a document,
which in this case it does not (in the one document
which even had an Index at all).

> under Managing Memory, even in bold.

The "Table of Contents" appears (in PDF) only when items
are individually expanded; otherwise at least one of the
documents presents only such helpful main titles as
"Chapter 1," "Chapter 2," etc., rather than at least
"Chapter 1: About this topic" etc.

The section marked "Batteries" (in Bold) in each document
contains neither the information needed
nor a cross-reference to somewhere else (far removed) to turn
for further information left out from where it best belonged
(if you read the first part literally, you could even think
that you're instructed to replace *all* the batteries
when a "Low battery" message appears -- just don't replace
the AAAs and the backup cell at the same time!)

Whether this manual came in printed form or as PDF only,
you can not find what you really need until you have either
read through everything or searched through every mention
of a word (or partial word), whereas better documentation
is of a nature that does not require that much effort to find;
like any indexed database, you should be able to make a direct
lookup starting from any known key, and all related information
should be connected and accessible once you have found any part of it.

I once reviewed computer manuals on contract from a small
company called IBM; each review was done via a form which
often was longer than the manual itself, and had a free-form
section for the reviewer to add anything which IBM hadn't
thought of in advance, and I gave them quite a bit each time;
evidently they found the feedback useful, for they kept
sending me more manuals for review for quite some time.

Back then, however, the manuals were highly important,
whereas now the direct user interface gets attention,
and manuals are secondary, if not sometimes only
to satisfy some legal or educational requirement,
and often also contain more pictures than text,
merely repeating what you see in front of your face anyway.

Actually, if you need help with anything now,
you just find a newsgroup and yell "help,"
which is then given by people who are not 100% occupied
with their jobs of helping people in their own company or life;
like "free software," it is all simply paid for by someone else,
and HP receives quite a lot of the direct benefit right here.

[r->] [OFF]
From: TW on
> thought of in advance, and I gave them quite a bit each time;

What!?!?! No way. . . I'd never had guessed that you contribute quite
a lot of well written comments. ;-)

TW

From: John H Meyers on
On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 08:06:44 -0500, for VPN:

There have many substantial analyses of that one county
in Florida whose disqualified ballots could by themselves
account entirely for the election upset in 2000; it's also
prime material for conspiracy/fraud buffs,
but I'll settle for one sample analysis,
emphasizing the "Human Factors" angle,
which I consider fair enough:

http://www.asktog.com/columns/042ButterflyBallot.html

Why the printed "Vote for GROUP" instruction isn't mentioned
is beyond my guessing; perhaps the ballot was
just so bad in so many ways that no one
even bothered to read the instructions at all :)

http://elections.berkeley.edu/statement/wmebane/
http://elections.berkeley.edu/pc01/
http://archives.cnn.com/2001/ALLPOLITICS/03/11/palmbeach.recount/
http://americanhistory.si.edu/vote/florida.html [ballot photo]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Butterfly_large.jpg [photo]
[the second photo is a more aligned example;
many were somewhat misaligned during actual use]

More Human Factors examples:

The Challenger: An Information Disaster
http://www.asktog.com/books/challengerExerpt.html

When Interfaces Kill: What Really Happened to John Denver
http://www.asktog.com/columns/027InterfacesThatKill.html

1996 Woodruff Distinguished Lecture Transcript
"Yes, But Will It Work in Theory?"
By Norman R. Augustine,
Chairman and Chief Executive Officer
Lockheed Martin Corporation
http://www.me.gatech.edu/me/publicat/AugTranscript.htm

[r->] [OFF]
From: John H Meyers on
A complete photo essay
including Palm Beach county voting booth in November 2000:
http://americanhistory.si.edu/vote/florida.html

[r->] [OFF]
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4